Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sig length
= too small. I don't know what its set to right now, but its hardly anything. Could we get it expanded and then simply say that the limit is eight or ten 'ordinary' lines?

Cause a text character limit is sort of ridiculous since folks can put huge pix or text in them anyways...
255 or 300 characters by default, I don't remember well. Can be changed by the admin.

I'll ask for Flash movies support, then. [Image: biglaugh.gif]
img]http://usuarios.vtr.net/~disaster/sigs/annoyizer.php[/img]
Quote:= too small. I don't know what its set to right now, but its hardly anything. Could we get it expanded and then simply say that the limit is eight or ten 'ordinary' lines?

Cause a text character limit is sort of ridiculous since folks can put huge pix or text in them anyways...

Talking of which.. it would be nice if we could ditch those huge sig banners that are becoming increasingly vogue. They just slow down loading time and mean my poor mouse has more scrolling to do :roll:
In a world without walls and doors, who needs Windows and Gates?
Quote:255 or 300 characters by default, I don't remember well. Can be changed by the admin.

You're right, It's set to 300 characters and can be changed easily. I won't do it though unless wildcard gives the ok. Personally, I think 300 is big enough. What would you say is a good length? I think a big length could become distracting to the forum if some abused it.

Quote:Cause a text character limit is sort of ridiculous since folks can put huge pix or text in them anyways...

You have a point there.

Speaking of signatures, I recently found out that John Hancock (the dude that signed his signature so big) is in my family tree in some way - on my mothers side. My relatives showed me an old original letter the guy wrote his family way back then. It's interesting but hard to read.

- Dav
I consider that 300 is ok, why do you need a bigger sig? I think that the important thing in this forum are the messages. I could pass without sigs or avatars.

Like Piptol, I consider very annoying big signatures. In some other forums, people have huge signatures full of images and tons of text and links, and they are very distracting. You end having more signature text in the page than actual interesting text.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Quote:I consider that 300 is ok, why do you need a bigger sig? I think that the important thing in this forum are the messages. I could pass without sigs or avatars.

Avatars are nice since you can tell at a glance who the principle posters are in a thread...

I'm just saying the character limit is moot, it would be better to create a 'vertical' limit of x lines. Some people might want to post their system specs or a mini-rant or something... it wouldn't take a lot of space in a smaller font, but sys-specs (processor, OS, etc...) are useful info to have when trying to help with some types of problems...
Wizardlife: your signature=31 characters. What do you want more space for?

I agree on the picture thing though. How about a size limit in kilobytes, like the avatar?

And lets all not forget about Relsoft's signature (the picture). How could we break the news? He'd either be devastated :wink: or he wouldn't mind, for the good of the users.

-----
Note after reading thread again: This is exactly how democracy should work. Someone has an idea, and all interested give their opinion, but no one bags the person or the plan. Congrats all forum members!
-----
Quote:Wizardlife: your signature=31 characters. What do you want more space for?

If there was more space, there'd be my sys specs, operating system, and my favorite Max Payne quote.
oracle: All of this is part of something intangible called common sense. For instance, my sig is 10kb big, and I'd never use it for short messages, one-line-hit-combos and the such. I'm not approving nor against graphic signatures (in fact it seems that I was the one that started the "craze"), but favorable for those little things that in the end makes the difference. Use the Edit button if the message isn't replied yet. Keep images lightweight. Use the Preview feature before screwing the page layout. Also please note that between the options at your disposal before submitting any text, it's possible to find "Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)", and I think that sometimes comes in handy to unmark the box. Just my humble opinion.

About your final thought, the "plan" wasn't preposterous enough to be flamed, hence you only see mild replies on this thread. [Image: biglaugh.gif]

wizardlife: I don't see the point behind seeing all these specs everytime you post something. This isn't an emulation or hardware forum, and, in the worst case, we'll ask you. [Image: wink2.gif]

Mr. Max Payne's lil' words of wisdom are welcome, though. [Image: 2ar15smilie.gif]
img]http://usuarios.vtr.net/~disaster/sigs/annoyizer.php[/img]
Quote:wizardlife: I don't see the point behind seeing all these specs everytime you post something. This isn't an emulation or hardware forum, and, in the worst case, we'll ask you. [Image: wink2.gif]

True.