Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lillo, gfxlib(insert v) + OpenGL = pregnant donkey
Sorry, but I needed to catch your attention ;P

Seriously, using gfxlib is almost half the speed of SDL when using OpenGL.

Just a thought, but, if the coder specifies that they want you to setup an OpenGL context, why not not bother with the threaded back-buffering and other unnecesary overhead. Presumably they would be using OpenGL for all thier rendering and not just select parts. Or, at very least, have an additional flag along the lines of OpenGL_Exclusive to signal that they are indeed only using gfxlib to setup the GL context.

Anyway, just a though that you might look into.
Life is like a box of chocolates', hrm, WTF, no it isn't, more like, 'life is like a steaming pile of horse crap.'
Add a Request for Enhancement in the sourgeforge list. It's the official way...
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id...tid=693199
Antoni
*blinks loudly*

I rarely get online and you expect me to do things properly instead of expediently???

j/k, thanksfor the link.
Life is like a box of chocolates', hrm, WTF, no it isn't, more like, 'life is like a steaming pile of horse crap.'
The background thread in OpenGL already does almost nothing... the only thing it does is signaling a vertical blank condition variable every n Hertz (sleeping meanwhile) so that waiting for vsync works.
Anyway, I've just disabled the secondary thread creation now, and OpenGL gfxlib apps are now single-threaded on Win32; hope this solves any problem.
Anyway, can I see your code?
ngelo Mottola - EC++
hrm, it's a bit of a slurry with just over 4K lines of my code, and this is just a mesh viewer, it doesn't really do anything.

Generally, the code to use (SDL/gfxlib) is determined at compile time through definitions, ie:
Code:
#IfDef _USE_SDL_

SDL_GL_SwapBuffers

#Else

Flip

#EndIf
The code itself is designed to only use the underlying interface only at creation/flip/destruction time, the rest is pure OpenGL.
Well, could you upload it somewhere then?
And, does compiling with latest 0.14 pre-release (June, the 3rd) help speed-wise? In this latest release gfxlib is single-threaded in OpenGL mode, just like SDL.
ngelo Mottola - EC++
hrm, I tried, but my 50megs sucks. I can't seem to upload any files larger then ~50K.

So much for 50 megs :\

I didn't try with 0.14, only with the beta of 0.13. I'll try to get a copy to you somehow, it's only 787K
try using yousendit.com. it'll let you store files up to 1 gb in size on their servers.

www.yousendit.com
Jumping Jahoolipers!
you should try with latest 0.14 snapshot first. I already applied some modifications to it that should fix your problems...
ngelo Mottola - EC++
Just for the curious mind...like mine ;-). What's planned for the DOS port? is there such a thing as libgfx in the DOS port?
hen they say it can't be done, THAT's when they call me ;-).

[Image: kaffee.gif]
[Image: mystikshadows.png]

need hosting: http://www.jc-hosting.net
All about ASCII: http://www.ascii-world.com