Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frantic Journey is *now* underway in FB. Let’s go!!
Dearest all of you splendidly good QB45/QB71/FB community,

My most richest greetings to you all, and I am *so* thrilled to announce that the project of Frantic Journey (FJ) is both officially and successfully starting to develop and develop in FreeBASIC now, right from its very first steps on!! Big Grin=b !

Take a look please at what I have currently so far:

[Image: file.php?id=80] [Image: file.php?id=81]
Left to Right: The loading screen and the simulated ram-rom check screen.

Like I may have said originally since the development of the previous QuickBASIC demo version of this game, I am making this thing like an actual arcade machine, right down to the very last drop. Cool

And all of this, folks, is only the first wonderful taste of what I am gonna give you in FJ. Currently now, I am working on a custom scalable font routine (ala RelLib) for the game itself, and I will be looking forward to keeping you all posted, okay now?

Be seeing you all now, and WE ARE GONNA ROCK THIS PROJECT *WIDE* OPEN HERE, believe me. Big Grin !!

GIVING YOU SOMETHING MIND-BLOWING HERE,

[Image: file.php?id=32]
Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow” ::: Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger” ::: Webmaster of the “AAP Official Projects Squad”
Original Creator of the “The New FreeBASIC 8-Bit Palette Machine”

P.S. Rel, while I am truly striking first blood on this FJ project in FB, have you done the 8-bit “Gamma Sprite” routines yet in FB and GFXlib 2? Thanks so much now!! Smile=b
url=http://dhost.hopto.org/aapproj/][Image: file.php?id=194][/url]
Your *official* home of the FreeBasic GFX Demo Central, now holding over 150 FB graphics demos so far!!! Big Grin !
It's great that you're porting it to FB!

But a "simulated ram-rom check screen"? That's just silly.
Pete's QB Site: http://www.petesqbsite.com
Cool. Hope to see a demo soon. Happy coding!
[Image: jocke.gif]
"Some men get the world, other men get ex hookers and a trip to Arizona."
Yeah, I agree with both of those remarks... Why don't you just run a real check on the ram to make sure it's enough to load what the largest stage will need? Snazzy lookin' and functional. Wink
To all of you:

Thanks so much on your fine comments, guys. :king:

And actually, I designed the simulated ram-rom check as a simple reason for adding more of an arcade-feel to the game itself, and I believe that it is quite a useful novelty, really. Nothing wrong with that. Wink To be honest, guys, I have seen *many* arcade games back in the day that usually do the real checks and stuff (such as Gradius, Pac-Man, Sky Shark, Pang, all sorts of games! Cool ) as they boot up themselves. And also, if you have seen MAME or Raine, you probably have seen some of those same checks indeed, too. Like I am saying, the simulated ram-rom check is there for adding more arcade-quality to Frantic Journey (FJ) itself. Just think of it as a fun little extra, guys! Big Grin And Dr_Davenstein, look, I can arrange some of the check like you said to make it a bit more realistic. Could really happen, so stay tuned. ^_-=b !

Gentlemen, about my new RelLib-based scalable font routine, it is just now done so far tonight, and I have so far the BIOS-like portion of the routine. Here it is:

[Image: file.php?id=82]

.......and it is gonna be designed for this FJ project itself, very truly. As well now, I seriously plan on re-creating and making scalable some of my own custom FJ fonts that were first created from a couple years or so back, and I am gonna arrange them to display in up to a spectrum of so many different colors, too. Wait and see. :wtnod:=b

Be sure to ponder all of these now, and thank you so much for your sheer honesty, people! :king: Bye for now as I continue the work for this very important FB-created project!!!

- Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow” ::: Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger” ::: Webmaster of the “AAP Official Projects Squad”
Your *official* home of the FreeBasic GFX Demo Central, now holding over 150 FB graphics demos so far!!! Big Grin !
Cool stuff. Tip, use function pointers and abstract the enemies. It would be easier in the long run. :*)

Re: gamma routine? It would take me like 5 minutes to make so don't worry. :*)
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
To Richard Eric M. Lope (Relsoft):

Good!! Big Grin I can arrange that as well! I am not as of yet experienced at using function pointers on making the enemies, but hey, I will be giving it a shot on this FJ project. Don’t you worry about a thing! Cool

Thanks so much again, Rel, and I got a PM waiting for you, so do check there please if you have not done so already. Wink=b Bye for now, my man, and God bless you!

- Adigun Azikiwe Polack
Sure you are:
[syntax="qbasic"]
Type enemy
left as integer

' do this as you could declare the function
moveleft as Function( theenemy as enemy, distance as integer) as integer
' ...etc
End Type

Declare Function enemy_moveleft ( theenemy as enemy, distance as integer ) as integer

Dim myenemy as enemy

' This ties enemy_moveleft to myenemy.moveleft
myenemy.moveleft = procptr( enemy_moveleft )

' so now, you can do this:
myenemy.moveleft( myenemy, 4 )

' the actual function
Function enemy_moveleft ( theenemy as enemy, distance as integer ) as integer
theenemy.left -= distance
return -1
End function[/syntax]
To Jofers:

Thank you so much for your awesome code snippet in this thread, man, because this will *really* help me out on this ambitious project in FB, I am sure!! ^_^ !

Using that snippet of yours now, I have tried many sorts of things with it in the coding of my separate test program in FB just to warm me up for the FJ coding action at hand here, but then, I eventually ended up with something like this:

[syntax="FreeBASIC"]TYPE enemy
left AS INTEGER
x AS INTEGER
' do this as you could declare the function
moveleft AS FUNCTION( theenemy AS enemy, distance AS INTEGER) AS INTEGER
' ...etc
END TYPE

DECLARE FUNCTION enemy_moveleft ( theenemy AS enemy, distance AS INTEGER ) AS INTEGER

DIM myenemy AS enemy

' This ties enemy_moveleft to myenemy.moveleft
myenemy.moveleft = procptr( enemy_moveleft )

' so now, you can do this:

myenemy.x = 200
Screen 13

Pset (myenemy.x, 20), 15
Sleep

Locate 1, 1:? "Moving the dot left by 1 step."
myenemy.x + = myenemy.moveleft( myenemy, 0 )
Pset (myenemy.x, 20), 15
Sleep

Locate 1, 1:? "Moving the dot left by 2 steps."
myenemy.x + = myenemy.moveleft( myenemy, 1 )
Pset (myenemy.x, 20), 15
Sleep

Locate 1, 1:? "Moving the dot left by 4 steps."
myenemy.x + = myenemy.moveleft( myenemy, 3 )
Pset (myenemy.x, 20), 15
Sleep

Locate 1, 1:? "Moving the dot left by 8 steps."
myenemy.x + = myenemy.moveleft( myenemy, 7 )
Pset (myenemy.x, 20), 15
Sleep

Locate 1, 1:? "Moving the dot left by 16 steps."
myenemy.x + = myenemy.moveleft( myenemy, 15 )
Pset (myenemy.x, 20), 15
Sleep

Locate 1, 1:? "Moving the dot left by 32 steps."
myenemy.x + = myenemy.moveleft( myenemy, 31 )
Pset (myenemy.x, 20), 15
Sleep

'__________________________________________________________________________
' the actual function
FUNCTION enemy_moveleft ( theenemy AS enemy, distance AS INTEGER ) AS INTEGER
theenemy.x -= distance
RETURN -1
END FUNCTION
[/syntax]

I have just tested the new code tonight, Jofers, and found out that it worked great, truly!! Big Grin ! At least I am learning something good from you, aren’t I? Wink Take a look at the screenshot of my resulting test FB program here in action using this code:

[Image: file.php?id=83]

....and man, this is apparently my *very* first time with using the TYPEs and better usages of FUNCTIONs within them! Cool

THANKS A LOT for your wonderful help here, Jofers!!! d=:king:=b ! I’m serious, and be catching you again later!

WISHING YOU SUCH GREAT JOY THIS WEEKEND,

Adigun Azikiwe Polack
Yeah, I learned something too. Thats really nifty! Tongue