Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UGL problem
I'm having trouble initializing the screen mode. It won't let me do anything except 8 bit mode and a res. of 320x200. What resolutions are allowed in UGL?
quote="Deleter"]judging gameplay, you can adaquately compare quake 4 with pong[/quote]
Unless there's something wrong with your code (do the examples work?), it basically means you've got a video card and/or drivers that don't support dos real mode VESA very well.

If Future.Library works on the same computer, but uGL doesn't, then the problem is probably this:
VESA splits the screen into chunks. If there's even just one row of pixels that's partially in one chunk and the rest in the next chunk, uGL won't work. uGL also tries to do something (change the scanline width, I think) that not all cards support.

Future.Libary is less demanding and more likely to work (it can tolerate both of the above limitations), but also slower. If Future.Library doesn't work either, then you've got a lousy video card and/or drivers that don't support (or supports very poorly) real mode VESA graphics.
what kind of graphic card are you using? Integrated stuff probably won't support DOS VESA.... at least, mine doesn't.
Jumping Jahoolipers!
Hmm... I'll have to check. It's the video card that comes with The Dell Dimension 3000 desktop. I'm using XP, is that a problem? I'll have to try it out on my laptop.
quote="Deleter"]judging gameplay, you can adaquately compare quake 4 with pong[/quote]
Hey, why dont you work in FreeBASIC? No more problems like that. Wink
Well... Good question. Could you tell me where I can find a library similar to UGL for freeBasic?
Von Godric made a FutureLib wrapper. Also, the standard FB gfxlib is great. It doesn't have rotations & stuff, but SDL does. If you can learn UGL, you can learn SDL or OpenGL. Wink
Dell Dimension 3000? I'm running a dimension 2350. It came with an integrated intel extreme graphics controller, which absolutely hates ugl and future lib. Chances are you have the same thing too, or something similiar.
Jumping Jahoolipers!
Can OpenGL be used in DOS? See, I plan to make a DOS GUI (see my post in QB Projects). It needs to be able to be run on old Dos only computers.
Ooh... I don't know. I don't mess with DOS at all anymore. :???: