Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4-button Joystick Press Detection for GFXlib 2 (updated!!).
Dearest all of you QB45/QB71/FB community,

Hello to all of you, and I have not even written in these forums in a while! And, man have I got something to show you! Big Grin

[Image: file.php?id=93]

Even if you do have your PC gamepad/joystick handy, I invite all of you to preview my 4-button Joystick Press Detection test for GFXlib 2. It lets you sample the direct and easier-to-use detection of the presses of the first four buttons to see how well they really are. You can download the test right here (updated!) now. The source-codes featured in this download will help save you a *lot* of complex programming and stuff for the detection of them buttons, making coding a whole lot easier in the creation of your FB games and stuff, you know what I mean? Cool !

Note please that this one requires the upcoming FB v0.14 as the minimal version of FreeBASIC. As of this writing, there is a current unstable version 0.14 of FB, and you can find it here.

Thank you so much, all of you, for your very kind attention. See you all again now!! :king:

WITH MY WONDERFUL REGARDS TO YOU TODAY,

[Image: file.php?id=32]
Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow” ::: Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger” ::: Webmaster of the “AAP Official Projects Squad”
Original Creator of the “The New FreeBASIC 8-Bit Palette Machine”

UPDATE (from July 1, 2005 at 8:15pm EST): I have just now updated this same exact test to include up to four (4) controllers operating simultaneously. That should get you all VERY excited, wouldn’t you say? Cool !

UPDATE #2 (from July 2, 2005 at 11:56pm EST): Thanks to both DrV and Jofers, I have *again* updated the program now to include ALL 16 BUTTONS!! Big Grin Take a look at this new screenshot here:

[Image: file.php?id=100]

Amazing detection *without* any flaws or conflicts, period. As it shall be. Wink

You can download my newest 16-button version of the program right here.
url=http://dhost.hopto.org/aapproj/][Image: file.php?id=194][/url]
Your *official* home of the FreeBasic GFX Demo Central, now holding over 150 FB graphics demos so far!!! Big Grin !
That's sweet. Can't wait for it. Can you have 4 buttons AND 2 joysticks? Or can you only have 2 buttons.
quote="Deleter"]judging gameplay, you can adaquately compare quake 4 with pong[/quote]
To Torahteen:

You are gonna be VERY overjoyed about this, man, because since GFXlib 2 for FB v0.14 supports up to as many as a whopping 16 PC-based game controllers at a time at once!! This means, Torahteen, that the presses of first four (4) buttons of every last one of the controllers indeed will be operating excellently!!! d=Big Grin=b !

Please, observe these next couple of shots:

[Image: file.php?id=95]

[Image: file.php?id=96]

And also, go back to the very top of this thread where the download is, my man, because I have just tonight updated it to include the new tests I am talking about. :wtnod:

Talk to you again, Torahteen, and I just had to make your dream come true in a BIG way tonight. Wink=b

- Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow” ::: Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger” ::: Webmaster of the “AAP Official Projects Squad”
Your *official* home of the FreeBasic GFX Demo Central, now holding over 150 FB graphics demos so far!!! Big Grin !
Excellent work Adigun, I'm no less than impressed :-).
hen they say it can't be done, THAT's when they call me ;-).

[Image: kaffee.gif]
[Image: mystikshadows.png]

need hosting: http://www.jc-hosting.net
All about ASCII: http://www.ascii-world.com
Ok, now let's see full support for my 16 button x-box controller. Wink
don't xbox controllers have flight yokes / pads of some kind? those wouldn't count as buttons Tongue :lol:
ttp://m0n573r.afraid.org/
Quote:quote: "<+whtiger> you... you don't know which way the earth spins?" ... see... stupidity leads to reverence, reverence to shakiness, shakiness to... the dark side
...phear
um, it only lets me press one button at once....though that could be because I'm probably using the wrong driver for my joystick Smile
[Image: freebasic.png]
To Deleter:

Hello and a real pleasure to have you in this. Big Grin

To be honest here, I do not know exactly what caused only the one joystick button to be pressed instead of four in your neck of the woods. If you are thinking that it could probably be that you are using the wrong driver, chances are you are apparently correct ( Sad ).

Possibly the best way to make at least the first four (4) buttons work properly on your joystick/gamepad is to find the right drivers for that specific thing you are using, Deleter. Some good places for you to start would be for you to go straight to these following URLs:
It is recommended that whatever driver you download at all, please run it through a virus-checker such as Norton Antivirus or McAfee VirusScan or AVG before you try any one driver, ok? Smile !

Alternatively, I have gotta show you a keyboard-to-joystick emulator that I have found on the internet yesterday. Just keep reading, pal!! Big Grin

Next, I go over to you, SJ Zero:

Quote:Ok, now let's see full support for my 16 button x-box controller. Wink

Well man, as much as I love to do that in my tests, I can only do no more than support just the presses of the first four (4) buttons per controllers, sad to say. Sad You know why? Because if I were to implement the pressings of more than the first four joystick/gamepad buttons all at once, then anywhere between buttons 1-4 would conflict upon pressing a button number higher than 4, disabling either of them until you let some of the higher-numbered buttons go. Not easy for me to explain, SJ Zero, but I have tried some serious experimenting with the buttons and found all of that out for myself as the tests were first being programmed. Smile

Like I have just recently said to Deleter in this very reply, there is a keyboard-to-joystick emulator indeed there that I must show you and him (and anybody that is interested, too! Cool ). And I will safely say right now that it is called PPJoy v0.83 by none other than Deon van der Westhuysen. It is a *great* piece of software here that will compliment you richly on my button tests that I just gave you from the top of this thread, and a possible download of PPJoy begins at: ......and keep in mind though that the software is free for personal use, too. :wtnod:

And finally, to you, MystikShadows:

Hey man, thanks a lot for your wonderful comment about my tests here!! :king:=b ! I am sure very much that they would be *quite* some useful help for adding some quality joystick button support and stuff to GFXlib 2 and FreeBASIC (v0.14 or newer). I am also sure that four working button presses for each connected PC-based joystick/gamepad would suffice in helping the FB programmer add some arcade- or console-quality support to their new games, you know? Wink

In addition, I plan on using the tests myself for one of the game projects that I am currently working on, as well as potentially the game Frantic Journey (FJ), too. Hang on tight as we rock! Big Grin

Deleter, dumbledore, SJ Zero, and MystikShadows, thank you all so much for your wonderful time today. Catch you all again soon. d=Smile=b

TAKING CARE OF SOME BUSINESS TODAY,

Adigun Azikiwe Polack

UPDATE (from July 3, 2005 at 12:28am EST): I have some AWESOME news for you, people: I have just now successfully upped the ante on this test to all 16 joystick/gamepad buttons, because all of them now work because of such excellent advice to me by DrV and Jofers that was worth taking!! (I *did not* even think that the button-testing undertaking would be successfully mastered further here, but it DID!! Big Grin ! ) This latest shot shows up to 16 buttons in action on four (4) controllers simultaneously:

[Image: file.php?id=103]

For a download of my newest version here, please go back to the very top of this thread where I have just placed “Update #2” there, alright? Thanks!!!

(And by the way, SJ Zero, because of the update, your dream about the support of all 16 buttons has finally came true right here. For real!! d=Big Grin=b ! )