Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sending PC speaker sound to the soundcard.
I have a building management system program that beeps repeatedly thru the PC speaker when an alarm comes.
The customer says he can't hear the sound so he has bought a pair of speakers, connected them to the on-board sound card and WANTS to hear the beep thru his new speakers.
The program has no option to redirect the sound. The PC is running W2000 and the DX9 sound works correctly. No aparent option in the BIOS.
How could I redirect that darn beep? Any idea?
Antoni
Are you looking for a hardware or a software solution? If hardware, you could potentially connect the output from the motherboard's PC speaker connection to an input on your sound card, though I'm no expert on the electrical/electronic aspects of this - I suppose the PC speaker output from the motherboard is the right kind to drive a speaker (given an amplifier).
Some other idea? Big Grin
No, DrV, i can't start messing with a soldering iron in the customer's PC. I'm not qualified and I use to burn things ..I would prefer a software solution.
Antoni
If it's a Dos program you could try DosBox.
roeten van Frenkel
Visit us at The Official S&F PROD. Homepage
http://petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorial...he_cpu.txt

EDIT: I just read it. It's probably not what you want though. Sad
quote="na_th_an"]
Greenday, Spice Girls... Can you tell the difference?
[/quote]
Did you write the program? If so, what language is it?
You should be able to use a standard cable to connect the PC speaker to the sound card. It's not a hack, there's no soldering involved, you should be able to just plug the PC speaker into the sound card using a cable.
I remember asking this same exact question (although not for the same reasons Wink) like twice, but no one seems to ever know "for sure." I've asked on like other forums such as the windows annoyance forums and whatever but they don't seem to know either... alls I have to say is if you find out, let me know!
ovaProgramming.

One night I had a dream where I was breaking balls. The next morning, BALLSBREAKER was born.

Quote: Excellent. Now you can have things without paying for them.

BALLSBREAKER 2
~-_-Status Report-_-~
Engine: 94%
Graphics: 95%
Sound: 100%
A Severe Error has crippled BB2 for the time being... I have to figure it out, but until then you won't see much of it Sad.
-----------------------------
Hell, worst case scenario, you CAN rig up a cable to send the speaker to the mic or line-in.

The reason there's no definitive answer (my "you should be able to" is about as definitive as you'll get from me, even though I'm 99% sure) is that computer hardware isn't standard. Even among Creative Sound Blaster 16s, some have the PC-Speaker jumpers, some don't.
Be careful with it! I could almost kill a sound card with these "hardware solutions"... Finally my best move was building a small box in what i placed the PC speaker and added a volume controlling "equipment" to it.
fter 60 million years a civilization will search for a meteorite destroying most of the living creatures around this age...

There must be a better future for the Cheetahs!

http://rcs.fateback.com/