Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
quickbasic on windows xp
Hello does anyone know how to get the quick basic compiler on windows xp any hints and help would help me out ALOT. thanks everyone.
try freebasic...

if youre stuck on qb though, i think you can use a program called DosBox
qb will run on XP, you'll just have trouble accessing VESA, sound-blaster, and sometimes EMS/XMS. So unless your program uses any of those (if you don't know what they are, you aren't using it), you'll be fine using it like you would in DOS.

You can find the QB 4.5 compiler+ide online here:
http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/network/qbdl/
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

For DOSBox.

The best is to create a shortcut for QB running this:
c:\....\dosbox.exe "C:\....\qb.exe" -exit
It will start QB using DOSbox. To do it, just create an usual shortcut, and replace the program to which it points to. It is ideal to place QB games ect. in subfolders then opening from the directory containing QB.
fter 60 million years a civilization will search for a meteorite destroying most of the living creatures around this age...

There must be a better future for the Cheetahs!

http://rcs.fateback.com/
I can run QuickBASIC 4.5 on Windows XP Home Edition just fine...as long as I don't use graphics (SCREEN 1 and up). For programs that use graphics, they start to run, give me a screen for a few seconds, then minimize! So, for these, I now boot up with Windows 95 in my A: drive, and run QuickBASIC there, as well as these graphics programs.
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
:o you fit windows 95 on a 1.44mb floppy disk? :o :o
ttp://m0n573r.afraid.org/
Quote:quote: "<+whtiger> you... you don't know which way the earth spins?" ... see... stupidity leads to reverence, reverence to shakiness, shakiness to... the dark side
...phear
Win95's DOS, that is, I'll bet... Big Grin
Yes, and here is a copy of what I have, there. I copied all the files that I thought pertinent from my original five 5 1/4" true floppies. Am I missing any important files? I seem to be able to run all those .bas files that I use, by just using the one file, QB.exe, and the program. Granted, in this case, I do not have access to the help files nor to the libraries. So far, I have not needed them, though. Obviously, I am not a world-class user of QB, but, rather, just a retired country-class user, ha, ha.

Quote:There are 21 files in my QB directory,
with a total size of 1.33MB

BC.EXE 96 KB
BCOM45.LIB 216 KB
BQLB45.LIB 25 KB
BRUN45.EXE 76 KB
BRUN45.LIB 25 KB
DESC.SDI 1 KB
LIB.EXE 35 KB
LINK.EXE 68 KB
MOUSE.COM 15 KB
MOUSE.INI 1 KB
QB4UTIL.BI 10 KB
QB4UTIL.LIB 2 KB
QB45ADVR.HLP 323 KB
QB45ENER.HLP 48 KB
QB45QCK.HLP 79 KB
QB.BI 2 KB
QB.EXE 273 KB
QB.INI 1 KB
QB.LIB 3 KB
QB.QLB 6 KB
QB_EDR.LIB 73 KB
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
I'm sorry!!! I read "QuickBASIC 97", somehow!

For Windows 95, I only use the four files shown baelow. Seems as if those are all I need to be able to boot up in Windows 95, and then I can run QB.exe and any graphics .bas file O.K.

Command.com 92,870 bytes
Sys.com 13,936 bytes
IO.sys (hidden)
MSDOS.sys (hidden)
Hmm... I dug up my old "MS-DOS User's Guide", copyright 1984, for DOS ver 2. On page 306, I found the external command SYS, and, I quote, in part,

"The SYS command places a copy of IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS on the targetted disk. To make the disk bootable (able to load and execute the disk operating system), you must also copy COMMAND.COM."

So, I guess I am talking about DOS, here, and not Windows 95. Sad

More, later.