Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why RPGs?
It's just a thought but why does everyone in here seem to be making an RPG or at least planning to do one??
Am I missing something??
crapyard / Smile Cheerful Software
[Image: Cheerful.gif]

"All your base are belong to us"
Yeah, RPGs are overdone. I think that when people make them, they need to put new features in them. My current project (Rollout) is a turn-based strategy but with RPG elements, so I guess it would be a Tactical RPG, which is not done as much, but is still an RPG.
Scrapyard: Not me. I hate RPGs, and have never even attempted to make one Tongue
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Well, I guess some of us likes to play crpg's and some of us also like to make our own crpg's...

Personally I like almost every game category (although I prefer rpg,adventure and strategy) as long as the game is fun to play.
[Image: jocke.gif]
"Some men get the world, other men get ex hookers and a trip to Arizona."
QB and RPGs have gone together like Bread and Butter for years now. There was a brief fling with 'QB Oses' but like a temporarily distracted homing pigeon, RPGs came home to roost once more.

I don't like them either (mainly due to cliche), but being such a popular genre there's some impressive stuff about.
In a world without walls and doors, who needs Windows and Gates?
If not one's creating a realtime battle engine the RPG basicly contains
loading/saving code, a scroller, a battle system (=turnbased
battle is more or less a advanced menu system IMHO)

So it should be one of those more easy-to-code but looks-nice
programs one can create...

Don't kill me for saying that, honestly, I've never achieved more on
my (never created) RPG than creating some grass tiles and thinking
of the beginning of a plot...
/post]
rpgs are just a popular type of game. i'm personally an arcade buff but i like a good rpg (and hate a crap one).
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Yeah!! Arcade rox!!!

But RPGs are cool. so are platformers,

Just don't give me any FPS. :*)
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
I like RPGs, but arcade games just aren't my cup of tea.

I don't like FPSes (or however you make that plural Wink ) because they scare the crap out of me. I played DOOM once on a 286, and even that made me have nightmares... they're too lifelike. :lol:
Quote:So it should be one of those more easy-to-code but looks-nice programs one can create...

That is apparent, and that impression unfortunately lasts until the programmer realizes that a good rpg is more than just a walking and a battle engine. Then the project is abandoned, the language is the one to blame (your standard progger will never admit his own pathetism and lack of will to finish the things that he starts, because the language is too limited/slow/not-appropiate) and another unfinished rpg bites the dust. Luckily, several programmers have the skills, patience and the right amount of self-esteem to finish their creations, and so... we, the mob, the mobile vulgus, have the pleasure to enjoy some very interesting productions and other things that only have the "plus" of being finished apps. Enough ranting for now.

An interesting article with a slightly different POV: (hey, they talk about da'masta DarkDread!) http://www.just-rpg.com/default.asp?pid=156

BTW, i'm not a big fan of rpgs, but then sometimes appears 'lil thingies that wash my mind for a while, like Final Fantasy 6 & 7 and Daggerfall, for naming some of these marvels.
img]http://usuarios.vtr.net/~disaster/sigs/annoyizer.php[/img]