Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perl Tutorials
Are there any Perl tutorials that assume that you're using a remote host that doesn't offer a UNIX shell? I've looked everywhere, and they all seem to thing that you're running Perl off your own computer.
I have a web hosting account that offers Perl support, but it doesn't give you a UNIX shell.

And yes, I have searched Google :wink: .
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Ya, I'd like to learn Perl too, but it's for Linux, so I can stand a shell Tongue
am an asshole. Get used to it.
I have no problem with shells, it's just that I don't have access to one!
I'm not sure I understand your question... do you want to run client-side scripts or server-side/CGI-style scripts?

I learned Perl from the llama book (learning perl from O'Reilly - great book), but I haven't read any tuts.
qb45.net/perl

but you dont exactly need unix, perl runs about the same on different platforms unless you get into file controls and such. i have activeperl on my (pc with windows 98) computer. i just use it to test scripts and such on my computer, though, most of my testing is online.

i dont get it, what are you having trouble with on a windows server that would work on unix? is it file i/o?
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Sorry, I was in a little hurry before.
I want to learn Perl in order to do CGI on my Linux server.
The problem is, all the tutorials that I've encountered assume that I'm either running Perl off my own Windows computer, or have access to a UNIX shell account on a remote host.
I have a remote host, but no access to a UNIX shell.
Is there any beginners Perl tutorials that assume that the reader is using a remote host with only FTP to transfer or manipulate files?