Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pallet fix
i found a good bitmap loader i could put in a sub, but it switches the pallet. I just want to know if there is a way to fix it.
You need to load the palette out of the bitmap file... I can't help you with that code (not familiar with the format), but there's loads of examples and tuts on it. And if that fails, there's definitely info out there on the format, from which you could determine where the palette is and how its stored.
I just want to know how to restore the default pallete. Is it possible?
A simple call to PALETTE with no arguments can accomplish that task.
am an asshole. Get used to it.
If you don't want the colors to look funky after you change the palette back to the BIOS default, you'll have to color match the current colors with the default ones.

To do this, get the RGB values of both the current colors and default colors. Then go through each of the current colors and find the default color with the closest matching RGB combination. Then change all pixels of the current color to the closest matching default color. (It will look weird until you're done.) Finally, when all the colors have been matched, switch the palette back to the default and everything should look ok.

(Some colors might not match exactly, but it'll be close.)
thats gonna suck, but life isn't easy Sad
thanks though. it helps a lot.
I have the same problem with my helicopter game. I have an awesome helicopter picture, but it chews up every single palette colour with shades of mainly green, with some blue for the cockpit, and black and white. All I need is 1) a way to have a palette of more than 256 colors and 2) a way to choose where in the palette the colors for certain things start eg colors 0-255 for basic stuff, 256-511 for helicopter, 512-767 for terrain etc. Any help?
Quote:I have the same problem with my helicopter game. I have an awesome helicopter picture, but it chews up every single palette colour with shades of mainly green, with some blue for the cockpit, and black and white. All I need is 1) a way to have a palette of more than 256 colors and 2) a way to choose where in the palette the colors for certain things start eg colors 0-255 for basic stuff, 256-511 for helicopter, 512-767 for terrain etc. Any help?

The way we did the palette for Empyrean was to simply decide that we'd need greens, browns, white - yellow - red for explosions and certain other colours and then created a palette and built the graphics based on that palette. You can get PSP to make an image in RGB into a 256 colour thing with a specific palette... sure beats letting psp make up its own palette for it.

The only things with unique palettes are the two title screens. Cause there it doesn't matter.
Great if I have psp... I *think* I have it somewhere... *digs around for his PCUser free CDs*

Aah! Found! Now, the manual...

I'll get what you mean later. But it does seem that when I make my helicopter image the palette repeats all the greens twice.
*cough* kazaalite *cough*