Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EMS Magic beta 1
Ok, so this is actually an assembly project, but it lets you run a lot of classic QB games on new hardware, so I'm posting about it here...

For those of you who don't know what this is:
Quote:EMS Magic is an expanded memory (EMS) emulator that installs as a removeable TSR and runs under DOS, Windows 9x/Me, and Windows NT/2K/XP. It provides a complete implementation of the LIM 4.0 EMS spec, including a contiguous 64K pageframe.

Unlike EMM386 and NTVDM's EMM, EMS Magic will create the pageframe wherever there is room. This allows it to run on systems where EMS normally fails. EMS Magic also patches the NTVDM XMM to support XMS 3.0 functions.

As of now, all XMS 3.0 and EMS 4.0 functions have been implemented, with the exception of "Alter Page Map & Jump" and "Alter Page Map & Call", for technical reasons. (They will be implemented eventually.)

Next is the testing/fixing/optimizing stage. There are still quite a few programs that don't work correctly with EMS Magic. My goal is to get all programs that don't rely on data aliasing working 100%.

The first beta of EMS Magic is a closed beta, which means you have to be a beta tester in order to get a copy. If you are interested in becoming a beta tester, email me at plasma{at}phatcode.net.

If you don't have time or don't want to be a beta tester, I also need help finding additional programs that require EMS. So if you know of a game/program (QB or not) that requires EMS that isn't on the compatibility page, please post it here. Smile
Wow, I thought this was frozen forever! Good job. EMS works fine on my computer anyway so I cant test it im afraid.
Nah, I always finish what I start. Even if it takes a long time. Tongue

If you really wanted to test it, you could disable EMM386 or EMM from your CONFIG.SYS/CONFIG.NT. (It's obviously pointless to do this other than for testing purposes...)
Hmm, yes, sounds good. Can I use non-QB games too? :|

I'll also finish what I started, even if it takes me 90 years! :\
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
Yep, works with any DOS program that uses EMS. I just got Impulse Tracker working 100%. Smile
How about games that work on Windows 95-98 but not...very well... on XPSmile? (I'm talking about that Magic the Gathering game I sent you...)
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Windows programs don't use EMS. So it does nothing for them...
Windows XP programs don't you mean... I'll try it I guess......

No, I mean Windows programs. EMS is only used with real-mode DOS programs. There's no need for it with pmode DOS or Windows programs, because you already have 4 GB of addressable memory.

Anyway I'll send you a copy to test.
Quote:I always finish what I start. Even if it takes a long time.
that make me remember many things about me. i never can finish what i start.
i would like to know how much EMS could be used with EMS Magic.
i didn't quite understand what you mean with 4GBS.
am the last survivor of the Quickbasics world (at least at qbasicnews).