Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows Updates
Sorry if this is a bit off subject. I have not downloaded any Windows XP Home updates for yonks because I got trapped downloading SP2 and could not block it. I had to reinstall everthing. I understand SP2 can cause problems anyway, which is why I am nervous of installing a copy someone gave me!!

I did have a look the other day. What is this update they want me to download now and how big is it. I do not want to get trapped into more of their massive downloads. It is a pity MS do not have the sense to warn us how big and how long their everlasting downloads will take. Presumably they can detect the bps speed we are using.

Gordon
Um, you do know you put Widows insted of Windows as your title... :???: :wink:
Kevin (x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

[Image: 11895-r.png]
Thanks

That's the problem with Glaucoma !!

I understand SP2 is now available for free.

Gordon
What's the "title" that MS gave the update?
974277320612072617420666C61696C21 (Hexadecimal for those who don't know)
Thanks,

First a box comes up with Windows Update and MS Windows Publisher, which I can reject.

Then if I click on MS update at the top I get TRY MS UPDATE TODAY.

I am scared **** they are going to trap me again into hundreds of MB of patches of download etc.

Gordon
Service packs have always been available as free downloads.
\__/)
(='.'=) Copy bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination.
Oh, that's just Microsoft Update. It merges Windows Update and Office Update. You can always go back to the separate updates if you choose to use MS Update and dislike it (until MS makes MS Update mandatory). I also had a problem with Office Update asking me for my product CD when it wasn't required. With MS Update, I have no problems now. :-)
I'm not endorsing it in any way, but it does help to have everything in one place. :-)

I wonder if they'll add the MSXML 4.0 XML parser to that once it is released. . .
974277320612072617420666C61696C21 (Hexadecimal for those who don't know)
Thanks,

But how do I persuade it to just list what it wants me to update, and allow me to select . Some time back it also used to display the sizes if each update.

On a simialr subject, I keep hundreds of my programs for all to download free, and of course often upload improvements. Can some clever guys keep themselves informed automatically everytime I upload something?

Gordon
SP2 doesn't cause problems. I've been using it since it was released.

It's very dangerous not to have your OS updated.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Quote:SP2 doesn't cause problems. I've been using it since it was released.

It's very dangerous not to have your OS updated.
Maybe not for you but it has for many others. XP SP2 is one of the most hated service packs in the history of Windows.
\__/)
(='.'=) Copy bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination.