Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XMS layers...
Is it possible to use XMS for offscreen buffers instead of having to copy the information from XMS to an array in conventional memory? I tried, but it doesn't seem to work.
Doesn't that involve specifying the segment and offset of the array? At least in mode 13, just specify the segment as A000h and the offset of 0--the video memory area.
ravelling Curmudgeon
(geocities sites require copying and pasting URLs.)
I liked spam better when it was something that came in a can.
Windows should be defenestrated.
I don't want to have an array in conventional allocated just for the transfer of my data from XMS. In EMS, you can store the data on the 64KB page frame allowing direct access to the information without moving it to conventional. I was wondering if you can do that with XMS. I'm not too familiar with memory yet, I just started using it, so I might be way off here :oops:
But your video memory is also in "conventional memory."
ravelling Curmudgeon
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm using EMS as my Layer since it's perfectly organised for that. I wanted to use XMS for a second layer where I would draw my graphics for my second layer directly to XMS and then PCopying to EMS so I don't need to reserve precious conventional memory to transfer info from XMS to Conv, then copying it to my EMS main layer. Like I said, I might be totally off here.
ravelling Curmudgeon
Well Glenn, I looked through all your posts (well, the search showed 360) and you have a post percent of 8 and 8/9 of just periods. Congratulations, you've increased all of our love for punctuation.
am an asshole. Get used to it.
!
ravelling Curmudgeon
Quote:!

:lol: You're a riot.
am an asshole. Get used to it.
Well, I can use EMS for my second layer, but you can only map 64KB to the page frame at a time. So I'll have to remap the page frame everytime I switch layers costing me processing time. So I looked into XMS to see if I can do the same, and since XMS is much faster. Unless maping a layer to EMS is really fast that I won't notice. I'm programming on a 486 and optimization is essential in my case.