Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More requests for FreeBASIC
1. const variables and pointers (not just compile-time constants)
Quote:dim as integer i = 420
dim as const integer const_i = 69

dim as integer ptr pointer_to_i = @i
dim as integer const ptr const_pointer_to_i = @i

dim as const integer ptr pointer_to_const_i = @const_i
dim as const integer const ptr const_pointer_to_const_i = @const_i

2. alternate syntax for typedefs
Quote:type integer_type as integer
type as integer_type ptr pointer_to_integer_type

3. Incidently, what is this supposed to do (compiles and runs no problem)?
Quote:type foobar

type as integer

end type
stylin:
Code:
Type foobar

type As Integer

End Type

Dim p As foobar

Dim As Integer Ptr y

y = cptr( Integer Ptr, @p )

y[0] = 38749

? p.type

Sleep

baad baad practice ;P

btw, post this on http://www.freebasic.net if you want more people (including the developers) to see it
#1 makes no sense. If you have a runtime constant with a location in memory, that would make it a... variable?

#2 I can live with out, but it makes sense.

#3, keywords are allowed as type fields. myfoobar.type is an integer. Nifty, eh?
Quote:#1 makes no sense. If you have a runtime constant with a location in memory, that would make it a... variable?
Precisely - a variable that cannot be modified. What if you have a function parameter that you don't want to change? You can pass it by value, but then if the object is big, you'll have to deal with the expensive copying; that's one of the reasons why we pass by reference in the first place. The only option is to pass it as a const reference.

Quote:#3, keywords are allowed as type fields. myfoobar.type is an integer. Nifty, eh?
Ahh, I see. I won't comment on the consistency issue here (or lack thereof).
stylin:
Yes, but that's not possible. If something's in memory, it can be manipulated, and if it's a constant definition, it can't be in memory so you can't have a pointer to it.
Quote:Yes, but that's not possible. If something's in memory, it can be manipulated, and if it's a constant definition, it can't be in memory so you can't have a pointer to it.
Funny, I do it in C++ all the time ... :???:

I think you're confusing constant variable with a MACRO or #define. The two concepts simply aren't the same. Constant variables do indeed exist in memory, and can be addressed. Think of the word constant as a qualifier, not a type, and I think you'll start to get me.
stylin:
I think you're confusing BASIC with C++.
Man, personally, I'd much rather see operator overloading implemented than something like this. It looks to me like it would be alot of work... and very confusing on top of that.
I'm not confused. In C++, a const is a define with type checking. However, if you create a const pointer, it allocates space and then just pretends it's special. But it's only compile-time pretending, there's no speed boost to it.
Quote:
Jofers Wrote:Yes, but that's not possible. If something's in memory, it can be manipulated, and if it's a constant definition, it can't be in memory so you can't have a pointer to it.
Funny, I do it in C++ all the time ... :???:

I think you're confusing constant variable with a MACRO or #define. The two concepts simply aren't the same. Constant variables do indeed exist in memory, and can be addressed. Think of the word constant as a qualifier, not a type, and I think you'll start to get me.

const references in c++ are a way to limit the usage of an object. all methods declared as const of a class can still be called from within a const reference context. those methods can change the the contents of an object...
quote="NecrosIhsan"]
[Image: yagl1.png]
[/quote]