Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The King of Spriters Tournament 2006
Earlier this year, I held a fighting game sprite contest. It started out rather slow, but swooped back up a little bit before the deadline, turning out to be quite a good contest afterall. So, I figured It would be cool to hold one again. I know that this site isn't necessarily teeming with people who even want to be pixel artists, but everyone should at least give it a shot. It's always fun seeing what people come up with.

This time around, I'm not going to be getting members from Pixelation.cjb.net to come over and participate, since there's the matter of that site not existing anymore and that makes doing so a little bit more difficult. They made up about a third (or more) of the entries in the last contest. Also, I've noticed that many Art & Music threads are averaging less views than they used to have, which worried me even more as to how many people will sign up. But, it's still worth a shot. One person's entry could inspire even more to enter, so don't hesitate to be that first person.

As for the rules:
*The sprite must be pixel art. Don't care how big or small, just has to be pixel art.
*Must be a fighting game sprite. Everyone knows what a fighitng game sprite looks like. EVERYONE
*Animated sprites, single character sprites, or one-person-getting-ruined-by-another-person's-attack sprites are all allowed.
*If you draw your sprite in PP256(or whatever that thing's called), I will pour gasouline down your throat and kick you into a furnace.
*Submit as many entries as you'd like. They will all be treated as separate entries, and will all have a chance of winning.
*When you complete your entry, just post it here.

At the end of the contest, I will take every submission, and give a critique based on what I see. The results will basically look like this, except I will try to make my critiques a LOT more clear than I did back then.

If a good amount of entries comes in, I'll try to find another judge and enter myself, since I'd probably enjoy this just as much as anyone else.

And for those of you who don't think they're particularly bad at drawing, but can't get started with trying to draw a human sprite, what I've done to get started on mine is (in MSPaint, though this is perfectly applicable to anything else)

A.) Drawn the anatomical "skeleton" of the character to get the main pose, in a shade of gray.
B.) Drawn an outline of the actual character's body over the gray skeleton.
C.) Select the gray color as the primary color (left click), and white as the secondary color (right click), select the eraser tool, and then drag over the gray skeleton underneath the black outline with the right mouse button to clear out the skeleton, leaving only the black outline.
D.) And from that point, the only thing really stopping you is your own motivation... and not computers.

And with that, I bid everyone that enters, good luck.

And bid myself good luck for entries...

The deadline will be two weeks after New Years, though it's subject to change.
Remember though, alot of the sprites came from pixelation, which is now gone.
Jumping Jahoolipers!
Quote:Remember though, alot of the sprites came from pixelation, which is now gone.

Quote:This time around, I'm not going to be getting members from Pixelation.cjb.net to come over and participate, since there's the matter of that site not existing anymore and that makes doing so a little bit more difficult. They made up about a third (or more) of the entries in the last contest.

:roll:
[Image: freebasic.png]
I have finished my entry and will send it to you later PJ. 8) Personally, I think its much better than mine last year, but my chances of winning are still very low I'd say compared to other people. and let alone if you enter. :roll:
I'm disqualified already... but here it is anyway! Tongue

[Image: 14798-r.gif]
Dr_d: Is that an original animation by you, regardless whether it's 3d or not? Tongue
I only did some of the animation. But, I could do something alot better than that, as long as I get to participate in the challenge using Lightwave. The images are still made up of pixels. Rokkuman, whaddya say? Tongue
Quote:
barok Wrote:Remember though, alot of the sprites came from pixelation, which is now gone.

Quote:This time around, I'm not going to be getting members from Pixelation.cjb.net to come over and participate, since there's the matter of that site not existing anymore and that makes doing so a little bit more difficult. They made up about a third (or more) of the entries in the last contest.

:roll:

whoops. My mind has a funny habit of skipping stuff in long posts to shorten up the task of reading it.
Jumping Jahoolipers!
Quote:whoops. My mind has a funny habit of skipping stuff in long posts to shorten up the task of reading it.

yeah so do I..I just happened to catch you the one time I stopped to read the whole thing. Tongue
[Image: freebasic.png]
PP256 pwns!!

How dare you dis it! :evil: