Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sidebar without frames (HTML)
I'm sure that everybody has seen this somewhere.
How does one create a navbar on the left, with text on the right, *without* frames? I've done everything I could with tables, and I still can't seem to get it. I end up having on cell to the left of the text cell turn out huge, or the text at the bottom of the page...
Can anybody help? I'll post my HTML code so far, if you want.
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
There are two ways.

The first way is slightly easier or harder: an inline frame.
The seconnd is an index page and a link to the top/bottom or left/right webpages.

See this website of mine:

http://www.geocities.com/pisforpi/flyingsoft/

Get "Using HTML4: ___ Edition" by Que. Sixth Edition was by Mary E. Holzschlag.

Whenever I need to find some name or get some info, I read that book.

Also by que, "Javascript Goodies" by Joe Burns. It isn't that good, but at least it has a few basics. The rest won't.
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
there are two ways: tables and css. the table way involves using a standard table, like so:

Code:
<table width=100% cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 border=0>
  <tr>
     <td width=the_width_of_the_menu valign=top>
       The menu goes HERE
     <td valign=top>
       The site goes HERE
</table>
the other way involves using the position property of css.

Code:
<div style="position:absolute; left:5; top: 5">
  Menu goes here
</div>

Though it's more practical to make a class object and use it instead. either way works fine once you get it down.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
One word: Thanks!
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
CSS way is better. You had trouble with the DTD didn't you?

ps: I'm modifying and checking your index page now.
bah. tables nor css are "better". css has the advantage of its huge customizability but it doesnt have the relative adjustability of a good old html tag. personally i use both, tables inside div layers so i can lay things on top of each other without penalties.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Quote:css has the advantage of its huge customizability but it doesnt have the relative adjustability of a good old html tag.

What do you mean? Almost anything you can do in html you can do in css.