Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printing Problem
I had some programs (pds7.1) that print to the printer using DOSPRN. I had to reformat my hardrive and reinstall windows 98 2nd ed. (Everything printed properly). Reloaded programs and printer drivers. Now when I print (Cannon s820), everything is shifted to the left 3 spaces and the first 3 letters of each line are missing. Also the heading line isn't printing properly on the first page, but every page after it is fine, except for the first 3 letters are still missing. Any ideas? Did I not reset something properly?? Any ideas would be helpful.

Also if I print from email or word processing, it prints fine.
Having never needed a printer for years, I never bothered playing with it with QB. I would guess you need to install the DOS drivers for your printer as well. If these are not supplied, you may be able to get hold of some online. Failing this, you may try printing directly to the device, however you do it. I refer to the C64 at the time, where you printed to device 4...

Meh. Sorry I can't be much help. Perhaps someone else will be.

>anarky
Screwing with your reality since 1998.
Quote:I had some programs (pds7.1) that print to the printer using DOSPRN. I had to reformat my hardrive and reinstall windows 98 2nd ed. (Everything printed properly). Reloaded programs and printer drivers. Now when I print (Cannon s820), everything is shifted to the left 3 spaces and the first 3 letters of each line are missing. Also the heading line isn't printing properly on the first page, but every page after it is fine, except for the first 3 letters are still missing. Any ideas? Did I not reset something properly?? Any ideas would be helpful.

Also if I print from email or word processing, it prints fine.
First i would make sure that your Canon printer works fine when printing from Notepad.

Then, I would forget about DOSPRN and other printer interfaces, and just output your plain ASCII text from your QB program to a .txt file on your hard drive. Then just use Notepad to print the file.

It takes an extra manual step, but it'll work every time. If you're real handy with batch files, you should be able to run the QB program, enter Notepad, and print the file, all in one batch file.
I had already tried it. And it does work from notepad. Can you set the font in the batch file also???
Quote:I had already tried it. And it does work from notepad. Can you set the font in the batch file also???
You're getting a bit fancy now.

Setting the font really doesn't having anything to do with the batch file.
From my experience, You can set the font in 2 ways:

1) From the editor or word processor itself. However, Notepad does not allow setting the font. You would have to use another editor like Wordpad.

2) By including "escape sequences" at the start of text which are compatible with your brand of printer --- see printer manual. I don't know if Notepad would allow you to have escape sequences in the data.

If I were you, I would concentrate on getting your text files generated by QB printed out manually via Notepad or Wordpad, as is. And, unless you're a batch file expert, I would forget this for now.

Maybe another member has additional suggestions.
I meant I have it working in wordpad not notepad. No big deal on setting the font manually though. I will go this route for now. Thanks for the help.

edit:

I was right the first time notepad not wordpad
Just heard back from the people at DOSPRN. Just needed to reset margins in DOSPRN. Thanks for all the help anyways.
Quote:Just heard back from the people at DOSPRN. Just needed to reset margins in DOSPRN. Thanks for all the help anyways.
Just wondering, did you pay for DOSPRN, or is it free and legal?
Someone on this site suggested it to me. It cost (I think) $5.00. Works great. Once you got it, free updates and versions. The support staff has answered any questions with in a day or two of emailing them. Really can't beat it for $5.00. Just google DOSPRN.

edit:

Just check the website DOSPRN.COM the price is now $14.95
Quote:Someone on this site suggested it to me. It cost (I think) $5.00. Works great. Once you got it, free updates and versions. The support staff has answered any questions with in a day or two of emailing them. Really can't beat it for $5.00. Just google DOSPRN.

edit:

Just check the website DOSPRN.COM the price is now $14.95

Ok, sounds like a legitimate product. I just wanted to make sure.