Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
computer crashing
I am running windows 98 2nd edition. Lately I've been getting a lot of window's blue screen errors and machine freezes. Also when trying to shut down, a lot of the time the computer will not shut down properly, will either blue screen error or freeze up. I reinstalled windows, not any better. So I reformatted and reinstalled again, was ok for a little while, and now same thing starting to happen again. Could it be a hard drive or motherboard issue?? Running Pentium III 533mhz 128 md sdram
If your computer came prebuilt from a store and its still under warranty, I would recommend taking it back to them to see if they can figure out the problem.

You could try checking that your harddrive and ram are okay. You can check your harddrives using scandisk (use the full scan method) and you can check your ram with memtest86. You need to install memtest86 on either a floppy or a cdrom and then boot from it.

If the drives and memory are okay, then you could try checking the machine for viruses and/or spyware, although this seems unlikely if you have done a full reinstall. You can get a copy of spybot from here . There are a number of good anti-virus programs available, however many of them require a subscription fee. You may also want to look at setuping some firewall software if you don't already have some.
esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
computer is about 7-8 yrs old. I already ran scandisk (many times when machine locks up..runs automatic), no problems. Ran memtest86, no errors. I have McAfee for virus protection, no problems, I already have spybot. Any other suggestions???
Quote:computer is about 7-8 yrs old
Yeah, I noticed that just after posting ;-).

Quote:Any other suggestions???
It may still be a hardware fault, possibly the motherboard or something. I can't really say without using the machine sorry. If you have access to a newer copy of Windows you could always give that a shot, but it sounds like your machine is on its way out.
esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
Try a later version of windows.
Many newer programs/drivers have issues with windows 98, which is why I moved to windows 2000 a while back
Quote:computer is about 7-8 yrs old. I already ran scandisk (many times when machine locks up..runs automatic), no problems. Ran memtest86, no errors. I have McAfee for virus protection, no problems, I already have spybot. Any other suggestions???

7 - 8 years is pretty 'old' for a computer. What does the Blue screen actually report? Although most of it is unreadable there's always a short string which gives a clue ..
I had this happen when I installed an updated driver for my graphics card , somehow it installed badly and mucked the whole shabang up;like you stated mate took me months and months to realize. I took a drastic measure and backed up all the important bits, and did a clean installation of Windows98 2E; when i could of just done a roll back, if i knew it was down to the gfx driver. Perhaps its the same thing for you.
img]http://mike.thebrainroom.net/Avatars/Clyde.png[/img]
I'm getting a problem like this with my new pc

Problems are

1) Crashing a LOT (The most it's worked for is 5 minutes...once... :evil: ). Reboot, reinstall, reformat, all do f**k all.
2) SOME TIMES the windows loading screen doesn't work right, it's all distorted.
3) The first screen with the memory test doesn't fit on the monitor.

When I got the PC it was set to the wrong settings, some guy came and reset them to the right ones.

THE computer company are not replying to my many emails and cut me off when I call...THE BASTARDS! It sounds a lot like a hardware problem...
url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][Image: style4,TheDarkJay.png][/url]
Just a funny tale. I'm not suggesting this could be your case....

I once had a computer that crashed randomly, when everything was fine.
I checked everything without results, until I checked below the heat sink on the processor. Glued to the processor there was a big paper sticker "QC Passed", acting as a heat isolator. I removed it and scraped the glue and the machine worked just fine....
The processor was overheating and crashing because of the QC methods!

Big Grin
Antoni
Hilarious! :rotfl: