Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FreeBasic for DOS
Something occured to me recently. Since some of you know assembly, could you make a 32-bit kernal with the capacity to run a FreeBasic game on it?

An FB-powered console?

OS?

>anarky
Screwing with your reality since 1998.
You could just run Linux or DOS on it, since FreeBASIC already runs on those places, and there are free versions of each...
I think he means writing an OS...

I'm planning on porting my OS to FB once I finish the C version, that'll be an FB OS proper.
Glarplesnarkleflibbertygibbertygarbethparkentalelelangathaffendoinkadonkeydingdonkaspamahedron.
There's FreeDOS-32, a 32 bit protected mode DOS clone made to run exactly the kind of executables FB for dos outputs. Looks like they just barely started on 16 bit real mode compatibility though.
Well, 16-bit compatability won't be needed to run FreeBASIC DOS executables, since it is designed to run 32-bit DPMI apps, like those generated by DJGPP.
Suppose a FB application can be made to be directly 32-bit like the NT kernal? And yes, I am talking about the theoretical possibility of an OS.

>anarky
Quote:Suppose a FB application can be made to be directly 32-bit like the NT kernal? And yes, I am talking about the theoretical possibility of an OS.

>anarky
FB-DOS is 32bit..
Not like an NT kernal you need an bootloader that setup the environment for an Dos protected mode interface DPMI an binary executer than you can load an FreeBASIC build as an single task but an 32 Bit FB OS as an single Task :-(

Joshy
sorry about my english
Quote:Not like an NT kernal you need an bootloader that setup the environment for an Dos protected mode interface DPMI an binary executer than you can load an FreeBASIC build as an single task but an 32 Bit FB OS as an single Task :-(

Isn't there a way for FB to ignore the default libraries so it just produces straight assembler code, without any external dependencies?

I know it's possible to go straight from bootloader to kernel in C. I'm going to see if I can do it with FB when I get some free time. If it works, I'll port my in-progress OS to FB.

anarky: If you're interested in OS development, then go here: http://www.osdever.net . The stuff is mostly in C, but it has some good stuff there that shouldn't be too hard to convert if you know C. It has a couple of articles that show you how to setup a bootloader, which is IMMENSLY useful when dev'ing your own OS.
Glarplesnarkleflibbertygibbertygarbethparkentalelelangathaffendoinkadonkeydingdonkaspamahedron.
I don't know C... It looks way too messy.

>anarky