Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about numeric condition in IF ...
How do i make a condition for IF THEN statement where if the data entered is not a number, or if it's an empty input, it'd go back to the input, somethin like this:

Code:
x as integer
0 input : x
   IF x not integer THEN
   goto 0
   ELSEIF x = ""
   goto 0
   end if
end

thanks alot
Quote:x as integer 'Where's the DIM?
0 input : x 'what the hell is this? What programming language are you using?
IF x not integer THEN 'There is no way to do this intrinsically, but it's something that's easy to replicate with other functions. So there really isn't a need for this. Programming languages have it though for lazy asshats. :-)
goto 0
ELSEIF x = ""
goto 0
end if
end

This is how to do it: first, ask for a string. Then check if it's a number/(or an integer), and if it is, then convert it to integer format.

Code:
DECLARE FUNCTION isinteger%(astring AS STRING)

SCREEN 9
DIM string1 AS STRING

DO

PRINT "Please enter an integer from -32768 to 32767.";
INPUT " ", string1
string1 = LTRIM$(RTRIM$(string1)) 'Removes extra spaces.
'Now check if it is an integer. I made it into a function.
IF isinteger(string1) THEN
PRINT
PRINT "You entered a signed integer. This is the number you entered:";
PRINT VAL(string1) '(edit: never mind previous comment)
EXIT DO
ELSE
PRINT "You are a poopyhead."
END IF
LOOP

SLEEP

SYSTEM

FUNCTION isinteger%(astring AS STRING)
'Take out leading and trailing 0's.
astring = LTRIM$(RTRIM$(astring))

'Get rid of possible negatives.
IF left$(astring, 1) = "-" THEN
astring = RIGHT$(astring, LEN(astring) - 1)
isnegative% = -1
END IF

'Make sure it isn't an empty string.
IF LEN(astring) = 0 THEN EXIT FUNCTION

'Take out leading 0's, ex. "09".
DO
IF LEN(astring) = 1 THEN EXIT DO
IF left$(astring, 1) = "0" THEN astring = RIGHT$(astring, LEN(astring) - 1)ELSE EXIT DO
LOOP

'1) Integers in QB can only be numbers and must be between -32767 and 32768.

'Check for five character maximum
DIM stringlength AS INTEGER
stringlength = LEN(astring)
IF stringlength > 5 THEN EXIT FUNCTION

'Check that it is all numbers.
FOR i = 1 TO LEN(astring)
test$ = MID$(astring, i, 1)
IF INSTR("0123456789", test$) = 0 THEN EXIT FUNCTION
NEXT i

'Check the strict limit of -32768 to 32767 now.
DIM intlimit(-1 TO 0, 1 TO 5) AS INTEGER, test2 AS INTEGER
intlimit(-1, 1) = 3
intlimit(-1, 2) = 2
intlimit(-1, 3) = 7
intlimit(-1, 4) = 6
intlimit(-1, 5) = 8
intlimit(0, 1) = 3
intlimit(0, 2) = 2
intlimit(0, 3) = 7
intlimit(0, 4) = 6
intlimit(0, 5) = 7

IF LEN(astring) = 5 THEN
FOR i = 1 TO 5
test2% = VAL(MID$(astring, i, 1))
'If it's bigger than the current biggest number possible, exit the function (set isinteger% to 0). If it's less than, exit the for loop: the number is ok. If it's equal to, check the next level to make sure that it isn't overflowing past the limit.
IF test2% > intlimit(isnegative%, i) THEN EXIT FUNCTION
IF test2% < intlimit(isnegative%, i) THEN EXIT FOR
NEXT i
END IF
IF isnegative% THEN astring = "-" + astring
isinteger% = -1
END FUNCTION
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
Aga,

You covered all the salient elements for validating an input integer number, but I think your solution is a bit complicated. The newbee will just get lost.

Example: all that business usint the intlimit array is cute, but way too hairy. Why not just compare the 5 digit number to 32767 or 32768 if negative?

Also, if it wasn't for your 5 digit restriction in order to use the intlimit array, you wouldn't have to suppress leading zeros.
Code:
Declare Function get_numeric_input() As Integer

Dim result As Integer

result = get_numeric_input()

? "user inputted: " + Str( result )
Sleep

Function get_numeric_input() As Integer

Do

Dim x As String
    Dim ch As String
    Dim stuck As Integer

stuck = 0

Cls
    Locate 1

Input "input a NUMBER: ", x

If x = "" Then stuck = -1

ch = Left( x, 1 )
    If ( ch >= "a" And ch <= "z" ) Or ( ch >= "A" And ch <= "Z" ) Then
      stuck = -1

End If

If stuck = 0 Then
      Return Val( x )

End If

Loop

End Function
Moneo:

Quote:Aga,

You covered all the salient elements for validating an input integer number, but I think your solution is a bit complicated. The newbee will just get lost.

Well, yeah, but I made it a function...

Quote:Example: all that business usint the intlimit array is cute, but way too hairy. Why not just compare the 5 digit number to 32767 or 32768 if negative?

Well, you could do it by entering the limits as a string, doing VAL() on them, and comparing, but it would not be as efficient. If you set it to a number and do a > or < comparison for the whole thing, that would be ok but it might create errors since VAL() converts to floating integers I think. It might not, but doing it like that makes you depend on VAL() being able to convert to 99,999.

Quote:Also, if it wasn't for your 5 digit restriction in order to use the intlimit array, you wouldn't have to suppress leading zeros.

Yeah, but I'd rather give the VAL() function something without zeroes.

I shudder to think of what happens to the world if you are ever a programming teacher, cha0s. :evil:

cha0s: remind me to stab you once in a while. First, you're depending on the user having knowledge of the ASCII positioning of "0123456789". Second, please capitalize commands either completely in lowercase or completely in uppercase, not in first-letter-uppercase, or I will have to stab you. Third, this is a QB post and your program will not work in QB. (notice LEFT does not have a "$") Fourth, please use appropriate variables not "ch", "x", and "stuck", or I will have to stab you. (again) FIFTH, you never set your function get_numeric_input to anything! SIXTH,

'( ch >= "a" And ch <= "z" ) Or ( ch >= "A" And ch <= "Z" )'
just says that the number CANNOT be between "A" and "Z" or 'a" and "z". What about "<", " ", ".", etc.? The correct way is:
' (ch >= "9" AND ch <= "0")

SEVENTH, you are not looping through the entire string of x...

EIGHTH, you do not check limits for the INTEGER of -32767 to 32768.

NINTH, I already wrote a function.
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Aga,

The best argument for your function is the fact that it works fine. It's hairy, but friendly. :wink:

BTW, while running some tests on alternate ways of comparing to 32767, I think I found a bug in QuickBasic. I'm preparing a post on the "QB Programming Help" sub-forum.
yeah, too bad i don't spend around nitpicking useless things, or else i wouldnt have a complex engine to toy around with in my possesion, now would i? *tinker tinker*
I bet it's full of bugs... :roll:

It still matter anyway... if you're going to help a newbie you can't just post junk that doesn't work and expect to get away with it. Tongue

Actually Aga...

Integer (16bit) goes from -32768 to 32767.
Not the other way around.
Quote:Actually Aga...

Integer (16bit) goes from -32768 to 32767.
Not the other way around.
Aga just left that in to make sure you guys were paying attention. :wink: