Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My portfolio
I'm sorry - I wasn't going to post this at all, but someone managed to convince me that it was a good idea, so here it is.

[Image: mt2.gif]
MegaThrust

[Image: bd11.png]
Beautiful Deception

[Image: blkhole1.gif]
Black Hole

Basically, I'll be finished college in a few months, and I've been thinking about getting a job in the games industry - but I don't want to be a programmer, I'd like to be a designer... which unfortunately, is a very hard job to get. I'm probably going to have to work at something else altogher for a year or two until I can create something that grabs people's attention, and gives me something to show any games company I might apply to.

Until then, I thought it would be nice to put together a portfolio of all my old games, so I'm fixing a few of them up, and I've been posting them on my website over the last couple of days (better than nothing, I guess). So far, I've made a GBA version of The Hunt, I've fixed a bug in Black Hole, so it should work on Windows XP now, I've put together and released a walkabout engine for my old iso RPG, Beautiful Deception, and I've found and released 5 new levels for MegaThrust that I thought I'd lost.

I've prewritten articles for all my old games, and they're all going to get slight updates like this over the next few months. Hopefully someone around here gets something out of it - if nothing else, it might be interesting for other game developers to see the progression from my old stuff to my new stuff.

Enjoy!
Looks nice. I plan to go into programming or something along those lines, however i intend to go to university before-hand.

A diploma in uni is practicaly an automatic promotion Big Grin

Getting into uni is a lot cheaper in england thanks to student loans and such. Also it is free if your parents earn below a certain amount. YAY ENGLAND!
url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][Image: style4,TheDarkJay.png][/url]
Really? Even with President Blair's new "Top up Fees" system? I was really sorry to hear that the act had gotten passed....

Looks like Ireland is gonna do something similar - we've got no fees, but every year for the past five years or so the so called "registration" fee has doubled, and it's nearly a thousand euro at the moment. People are furious though, so maybe we'll be ok.

Yeah. Maybe for once a government will actually do what the people of it's country want it to do.

</rant>

Quote:A diploma in uni is practicaly an automatic promotion Big Grin

Heh, I hope you're right about that. (I love my course and eveything, but I kinda wish I'd done something more appropriate to what I actually wanna do...)
Beautiful Deception does look beautiful! nice work!

i'm also working on my programming and "old stuff i never finished" blog...
'm so lazy... no really.... i am the laziest programmer ever ... ever.
Quote:Getting into uni is a lot cheaper in england thanks to student loans and such. Also it is free if your parents earn below a certain amount. YAY ENGLAND!

Nay England. That's almost the same in Massachusetts, and student loans aren't free. And, the fact that the government subsidies everything below a certain amount is called stupidity, and the same in the U.S.. It keeps the poor, poor.
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
Beautiful deception is very nice. I really like what you've done there... perhaps you'd like to finish it in FB? :lol:

I definitely remember the old www.talesofutopia.cjb.net... Will Spellbound Island or Tales of Utopia be making an appearance on your blog? (checked the site at archive.org. Smile )
Quote:
Quote:Getting into uni is a lot cheaper in england thanks to student loans and such. Also it is free if your parents earn below a certain amount. YAY ENGLAND!

Nay England. That's almost the same in Massachusetts, and student loans aren't free. And, the fact that the government subsidies everything below a certain amount is called stupidity, and the same in the U.S.. It keeps the poor, poor.

Loosing 12 quid a month off a higher pay check seems like a fair trade-off to me.
url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][Image: style4,TheDarkJay.png][/url]
Perhaps England's universities are less wasteful, and less expensive. Is that what you are saying? 12 quid a month hardly covers education costs in the U.S... if everyone was paying that much, it would be perhaps 10% of what's needed....:

There are 11 full time million university students in the U.S., and since only 1 out of 5 is from a private college, let's make the cost of the whole thing say $15,000 per student per year. (250% less than private)

There are 143 million people in the civilian labor force in the U.S., at the current rate of 1.72 USD : 1.00 British quid, that is $20.64 a month per civilian worker. At 143 million people, that is 35418.24 million dollars. At 15K per year per student for 11 million of them, that is 165000 million. That is a ratio of 21.4656%. So, in the U.S., every worker in the U.S. would have to pay $96.16 monthly. That or tuition in England actually costs $3219.84 per student..

P.S.: MSN is now better than google.
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
Quote:Beautiful deception is very nice. I really like what you've done there... perhaps you'd like to finish it in FB?

I definitely remember the old www.talesofutopia.cjb.net... Will Spellbound Island or Tales of Utopia be making an appearance on your blog? (checked the site at archive.org. )

Heh, thanks. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be coming back to it any time soon - but that's ok. I've got a load of way more interesting projects in mind down the line anyhow. Smile

I don't think Spellbound Island is worth bothering with - aside from that awful text adventure, all I ever got done was a few concept sketches and some dialogue.

I'll be posting something on Tales of Utopia near the end though!
Good news. I'll be keeping an eye on your blog! 8)