Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My RPG
I know I have posted about my RPG a few times.
But at this time I would like to be graded on the graphics, not the gameplay, if it's not too much trouble.
I re-drew all the graphics in the game, so I believe it's much better than before.
If it's at all possible, I would appreciate if people could give me some 1 - 10's.

It's a top down view RPG. screen mode 13h, 320 * 200 * 8

click here to view screenshots

hope you like my art.

you could also check out some of the story and pencil art for the game while you're there
I only saw one screen shot of the game, which looks ok to me...

[Image: tpic10.png]

You should prrbably add more screenshots to get more responses. Wink
The tree's are wrong if it's top-down.
Also, the grass looks repetetive.
The walls need corner pieces.
Well with a top-down view, how are you to make them look like trees and not bushes without breaking a few rules, Z!re?
Quote:Well with a top-down view, how are you to make them look like trees and not bushes without breaking a few rules, Z!re?

I have to agree with the little guy, besides z!re, in a wolrd you are creating from scratch, nothing is wrong ^^
url=http://www.smithcosoft.com]SmithcoSoft Creations[/url]
"If you make it idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot" - Murphy's Law
Actually there are a few things that seem to imply that it is not a straight top-down view. Such as the walls, the bushes, and of course the tree. But yeah, they have pretty much named the biggest issues with the tiles.
quote="Deleter"]judging gameplay, you can adaquately compare quake 4 with pong[/quote]
Hmm.
Well, the grass certainly isn't bad (slightly repetative, but that's been mentioned), though there are numerous problems I can spot... That is, if you don't mind me doing more than just giving you a number to work with. Wink

The bushes actually look okay to me. Perhaps the 'center' of the green bush part should be a bit lower, implying a bit more of an overhead viewpoint, but apart from that, they don't look too bad, and certainly fit in just fine. I might suggest making a few variations of it to spice things up a bit, though. (the little rosebushes look fine to me as well, though again, two or three other variants would work wonders)

Now, the trees... They look rather rushed. The top implies a direct side-scrolling perspective, while the base of the trunk (roots, etc) seems to suggest a more overhead look. This is a problem I used to encounter alot myself, and still do now and then. It's good to have a defined (even if not completely visible) 'center' point for things such as the tops of trees; the lower it is, and the more you modify the edges to fit its position, the more of an overhead effect you get. A rather extreme example would be the trees in Zelda 3 (A Link to the Past), on which I based the trees for LL... It's a very simple circular design/pattern, and the center point is very obvious and defined. I prefer a slightly more subtle approach, but it's up to you. Of course, the trunk and base should match the angle you choose, or something will look amiss... Tongue Simply put, the tree tops are very vertically flat, something which implies more of a side view for this type of tree. A more full, round shape with a more defined center point will help that quite a bit. (another note: the tree trunks are a bit too dark, I think... and perhaps lacking in contrast)

Now, the house... Or shelter... Or log assembly...? It's a bit hard to tell, frankly. If you're going for the Dragon Warrior-esque 'roofless' design, You'll definately want to make the walls taller-- Also, some lighting almost always works wonders. For example, from top to bottom of one of the wall tiles:

...As far as brightness goes. Not a perfect gradient like that (that's a big no-no in pixel art of this kind), but you get the idea. Also, if there's some interior light source, you can also have some light coming from the bottom, like so:

Again, not so black-and-white (hurr hurr, pun) as the little number diagram-- The light on the bottom half should be much more subtle and small, but hopefully it gets the point across. You could also do a few tiles to represent light spots if there are lamps or somesuch nearby... Middle being brightest, edges being darkest, etc. I usually use it for torches and the like, but I suppose there's a chance someone might decorate their house with antique torches... Confusedhifty: (or sconces... ok fine. sconces)

As a general rule with houses of this type (which I rarely if ever do anymore, though it's more of a stylistic choice), I like to have the walls at least 2 tiles high, and have a third tile as a 'cut-away' ceiling tile, like so:

######
######
######
##########
##########
##########
##########
##########
##########
##########

White being the ceiling, and the two shades of red being the wall. Unless the structure in your mockup/screenshot is meant to be a low-walled log assembly; though I'd still reccomend some lighting on the walls in that case.

Hope I wasn't too harsh, just taking a break and I figured I'd offer some critique if you want it. Smile
Quote:
TheAdventMaster Wrote:Well with a top-down view, how are you to make them look like trees and not bushes without breaking a few rules, Z!re?

I have to agree with the little guy, besides z!re, in a wolrd you are creating from scratch, nothing is wrong ^^
Ofcourse, but there's also the wall..

And a tree can be made topdown without problems, just have the tree drawn last, and characters able to walk in under it.

I'm suspecting he means the "standard" rpg view, of characters lying down on the ground, zela style. And not topdown.

In topdown, a character is basically a circle, with two semicircles attached to each side (Head and shoulders) I made a game like that once, if people are interessted I could find it, it also has topdown trees (Ofcourseit all looks like crap Tongue )
K.. Let's see it. I think he's gone anyway. :lol:
Quote:K.. Let's see it. I think he's gone anyway. :lol:
Sadly I dont seem to have it anymore.. It was made in screen 12 Tongue Good 'ol QB style.. No tiles either, the grass was made from boxes with random pset of green on it Tongue