Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PDS and XP
i have read many times that trying to run QB45 in the XP or 2OOO systems have many problems; not being that way when using the PDS, i think PDS it's a better Quickbasic and would be better on any case to recommend the PDS to be used for those systems instead of QB45.
I only have QuickBASIC 4.5, so, I don't know if other BASIC-based programs will have the same problem that I had with 4. and XP. But, after anguishing over my problem for some months, wich consisted in my screen minimizing a few seconds after running any program using any of the graphics screens. It was finally solved by not starting automatically one "running in the background" program. Since then, I have not had any problems with 4.5.

In short, my QuickBASIC 4.5 did not have any problem at all with XP, even though I so reported it!

If i were to recommend a BASIC-type program for beginners, I would sy, 4.5, by all means, until you learn it real well. Then, embrace FreeBasic!
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
Quote:If i were to recommend a BASIC-type program for beginners,
I would sy, 4.5, by all means,
until you learn it real well. Then, embrace FreeBasic
i would prefer to recommend PDS after learning QB
and after PDS would recommend Visbasic for Dos;
all this until FB would reach the version 1.OO
and also will have a complete IDE for Dos.
an IDE for Dos it's very important for me.
A freeBasic IDE for DOS? What is the present one that I use, called FBIde 0.4.2? Is it "for Windows"? How does one know?
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
Quote:A freeBasic IDE for DOS?
What is the present one that I use, called FBIde 0.4.2?
Is it "for Windows"? How does one know?
the editor FBIde it works in a windows window,
a DOS editor like the Quickbasics editor
would work in a DOS window.
PDS has a lot of problems with non-english keyboards, displays a message agains the use of non-microsoft OS'es when started in Windows and its configuration is a little picky. I would never reccommend it to substitute QB4.5..
VBDOS works perfectly in W2000, I never had a problem with it. And you are not required to do "visual" programming , you can run plain QB programs with it.
Antoni
Quote:PDS has a lot of problems with non-english keyboards
yes, international keyboards support was disabled in PDS
and Vbdos, i am assuming that was for saving memory.
Quote:displays a message agains the use of non-microsoft OS'es
when started in Windows
that's why i love windows98se.
Quote:and its configuration is a little picky
i think it can be as simple as QB but some downloads are
in individual compacted files and still divided in diskettes.
Quote:VBDOS...And you are not required to do "visual" programming ,
you can run plain QB programs with it.
yes, that's something to highlight because QBers
think that the visual mode it's a must, but it is not.
Quote:that's why i love windows98se.
That's why you will have a lot of troubles if you decide some day to try FB. Big Grin FB has been barely debuggerd in W98. Don't try it unless you update to W200 0 or XP or Vista
Antoni
antoni? lol.

i've been developing LL in 98 for almost a year now. (maybe even a full year)

just a month ago i switched to ME...
How can you still be on Windows 98 and just have "upgraded" to ME? I can't believe anyone would even consider running such an old 32-bit extension for DOS as their primary OS. :wow:

Or are you running this in a virtual machine? The best way to run QB is on a stable operating system (that's a *NIX OS) through a virtual machine running a pure DOS environment.
he one and only.