Brun45.exe and Dll
IF
Brun45.exe is required for running executable files
created with Brun45.lib
THEN
could be considered a kind of Dll?
ELSE
how does it work Brun45.exe?
is it loaded in memory like a Dll when an executable is running?
END IF
{i think these are three questions}.
In a certain sense you could consider brun45.exe a dynamic link library, but not is the general purpose sense that most people associated with dynamic linking. I've never investigated the details of how this "run time linking" is achieved. There are really only two possibilities.

1. Your code loads code from brun45.exe into memory

2. You program executes brun45.exe.

Either way call addresses must be "fix up" which requires information from both brun45.exe and your program.

I've always compiled stand alone executables, and the one thing I dislike the most about QB is the excessive startup code that is link with even the simplest porgram.
Interesting question, Fumador
Interesting reply, RyanKelly

Perhaps one of our talented persons on this forum could come up with a program that would analyze your code and attach only the additional code that is absolutely necessary for each, particular program? It sure sounds like a worth-while chalange, to me, especially if it also means fster-running code!
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
faster? try FB.
In the Ethan Winer book, he mentions that he rewrote the QB library to make it faster/smaller. Maybe someone has a copy of the replacement lib.
EVEN MEN OF STEEL RUST.
[Image: chav.gif]
ChaOs:

I tried the following timing program in fb and in 4.5. Results?
Approximately 30 seconds in fb, and 3000 in 4.5, or about 100 times faster in fb!
Code:
CLS
starts = TIMER
FOR i = 1 TO 1000000
    FOR j = 1 TO 10000
    NEXT j
NEXT i
stops = TIMER
PRINT stops - starts
WHILE INKEY$ = "": WEND
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
:p that is nothing.

with fb you get access to lots of c libraries that have been tried and tested and optimized for years. like zlib, fmod, opengl, libxml, the list literally goes on for pages. and c++ libs just need a wrapper. also pointers, unsigned types, memory only limited to available resources in windows etcetc. and like 95% compatibility with QB (who needs DEF SEG anyways :aahSmile

that and qb gives me bluescreens virtually everytime i run it. =(
Quote:
Code:
CLS
starts = TIMER
FOR i = 1 TO 1000000
    FOR j = 1 TO 10000
    NEXT j
NEXT i
stops = TIMER
PRINT stops - starts

Hey you could optimize that by removing some redundancy ;p

Code:
CLS
PRINT 0

Seriously though, thats pretty tragic if QB is that inefficient.
EVEN MEN OF STEEL RUST.
[Image: chav.gif]
well, i will still be thinking on brun45.exe like a kind of Dll.
Quote:In the Ethan Winer book, he mentions that he rewrote the QB library to make it faster/smaller. Maybe someone has a copy of the replacement lib.
PDQ? i think most instructions are in the PDQ handbook.