Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of programming
I think we are starting to see the future of programming and its not huge evil empires, its small time companies who release thier programs with the source code. This sparks other developers to look at the code so that they might learn from it. With so many eyes looking at the code errors pop up fast, but they also usually come with a solution to fix it. This makes these programs (at least in later versions) extremely stable. In the future we will not be tempted to throw the computer out the window because something crashed. With open source programs we no longer complain how much something sucks, but we look at the code and offer suggestions on how to fix it.

Most of us are now using Firefox, this is the best example I can think of. Its much faster and more stable than IE and supports more web formats. Programmers want speed and have made many extensions that have made Firefox the 2nd fastest web browser out there. Safari may be faster, but it doesn't have any of the other features of Firefox and has no way to fix errors found other than waiting for the next version.

OpenGL is revolutionizing gaming. It's stable, fast and easy to use and fool with. More and more games are using OpenGL and shying away from DirectX. This is boasting an increase in the number of platforms that a game can run on. Porting an game from PC to Mac is made easier since OpenGL is supported by both (In fact, all gui effects in OSX use OpenGL.)

More and more college students are using OpenOffice.org because we don't have the money to buy M$ Office. When I started using it I immediately looked at the code and thought about how I could make it better. With more time on my hands I might start playing with it. Right now it doesn't compare to iWork or M$ Office, but I predict that in the near future it will see the same increase in popularity as OpenGL and Firefox.

I think the future holds some redical changes for the computing industry. It will be interesting to see what prevails as the dominate type of programming in the future, big business or small development groups. I'm curious to see if FreeBasic will enjoy an explosion of popularity too. Comment all you want, I just wrote this cause I'm bored.
f you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices. The scary part is that if you play it forwards it installs Windows.
Quote:I'm curious to see if FreeBasic will enjoy an explosion of popularity too.

It will. ^^

I agree with your post 100%. P.S. LL is open source too.
OPEN SOURCE ALL THE WAY! YAY!

Seriously. People who hide their sources are pussies.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Quote:Seriously. People who hide their sources are pussies.
Or they are afraid someone will come around and make a better version and then they'll lose all their money.

Oh wait, that's what . . . "I need a manlier word for pussies" are. Oops. Tongue
We have things like the GPL, you can prevent yourself from "losing money" if you do it right.

Honestly, if it's proven that you wrote the source code for something like, say, linux kernel, and someone steals it, but the proof is yours and widespread on the 'net, who do you think a company would hire for a long-term high paying consulting job? You or the guy who stole your idea?

They hire the person who can keep coming with the new ideas, an old idea is only worth so much. You will never be sucessful unless you keep innovating, keep changing, keep raising the bar.

As long as you can prove that you've got talent, and you know how to use it, my guess is that you'll be O.K. =P

With that said, LL isn't even GPL'd it's totally public domain! *gets trampled* =<
I love open-source software as much as anybody, but I'll be the first to point out that Firefox sucks. It's a slow, bloated mess, and it's only getting worse. I'm back to using IE at work and Opera at home, and I haven't missed Firefox one bit.
*stabs DrV* Firefox is fine for me... Plus I have 28 extensions which I use.. So I can't live without it. Plus Firefox is sexy. Sorry, I don't need a browser which can read the page to me...
[Image: sig.php]
Back by popular demand!
I will byte and nibble you bit by bit until nothing remains but crumbs.
FireFox is much slower than IE7 on Windows, especially when it comes to browser-based games. Also most webpages these days are built specifically for IE, so using FireFox is actually counter-productive.

By the way, where are you getting your information about the OpenGL trend? In my experience, it's the other way around...

Also, why do you call Microsoft "Micro$oft"? I've never really understood that...
Glarplesnarkleflibbertygibbertygarbethparkentalelelangathaffendoinkadonkeydingdonkaspamahedron.
Quote:Also, why do you call Microsoft "Micro$oft"? I've never really understood that...

Its just people trying to tie microsoft's name in with the dollar sign to signify their "greed" or something. Bunch of balls if you ask me :roll:
Quote:
thegrogen Wrote:Also, why do you call Microsoft "Micro$oft"? I've never really understood that...

Its just people trying to tie microsoft's name in with the dollar sign to signify their "greed" or something. Bunch of balls if you ask me :roll:
It's just everyone trying to act like they hate them ^_^;;. I hate M$, but I use M$ . . . Damnit! Tongue If you can't beat'em, use'em until you can destroy them.