Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
zip in qbasic
is it possible to compress files in zip with qbasic?
Well... yes. You need to read up on the format and algorithm used in a zip file however. Good luck Wink
quote="Deleter"]judging gameplay, you can adaquately compare quake 4 with pong[/quote]
But you don't necessarily have to use the zip format. You could use other compression algos, or even develop your own.
In the beginning, there is darkness – the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
Neo did a library full of compression routines, look into that.
url=http://www.copy-pasta.com]CopyPasta[/url] - FilePasta
Why reinvent the wheel?
The best compression around is in PKZIP. Even WinZip uses the same algorithm.

Need to compress one or more files, just do a SHELL to PKZIP from your program, or PKUNZIP to decompress them.

Besides, it's not only the compression. There's also the CRC generated on each file, the decompresssion, and many other considerations.

Unless maybe you're just playing around.........

A compression/decompression set of routines is very useful so you can compress/decompress from your program without having to call anything external. Makes your application more robust Smile

You can use ZZLib in freeBASIC, which compress quite well and is pretty straightforward to use (basicly you read uncompressed data from a "virtual file" - the library opens the compressed file, decompresses the data on the fly, and provides you with that uncompressed data).
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Quote:A compression/decompression set of routines is very useful so you can compress/decompress from your program without having to call anything external. Makes your application more robust Smile

You can use ZZLib in freeBASIC, which compress quite well and is pretty straightforward to use (basicly you read uncompressed data from a "virtual file" - the library opens the compressed file, decompresses the data on the fly, and provides you with that uncompressed data).
I get your point, amigo, but I disagree in general. I've developed some pretty robust applications that handled millions of dollars, and I've used external software, such as, Btrieve, Opt-Tech Sort, Pkzip/Pkunzip, the LIST utility, and several Norton Utilities. I think using industry-standard, documented software in your application enhances it and therefore makes it more reliable.

Maybe in a few years the ZZlib of Freebasic will become an industry standard, but it's not there yet.

Saludos..... Moneo
ZZLIB? perhaps you're thinking of zLib? and by all means, thats about as much as a standard as you're going to get. ever heard of php? it has zLib routines built in? doesn't it =p not to mention linux is HIGHLY dependent on it, as are Many other system.
Ok if you say so.

Quote:
na_th_an Wrote:A compression/decompression set of routines is very useful so you can compress/decompress from your program without having to call anything external. Makes your application more robust Smile

I get your point, amigo, but I disagree in general. I've developed some pretty robust applications that handled millions of dollars, and I've used external software, such as, Btrieve, Opt-Tech Sort, Pkzip/Pkunzip, the LIST utility, and several Norton Utilities. I think using industry-standard, documented software in your application enhances it and therefore makes it more reliable.

Maybe in a few years the ZZlib of Freebasic will become an industry standard, but it's not there yet.

Saludos..... Moneo

The moment where you have to rely on the Operating System to do a shell to call another program, then going back to the caller one is a weak point, talking about security. Anybody could change the ZIP.EXE program (or whatever it is called) for another thing called just the same and voie la.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i