Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Broken Key"
This is a cover of one of cha0s's songs. It was originally for a video game project we were going to work on called "Key". It never got off the ground, hence this song's title. (I don't think it originally had an official title apart from "Big Bad Boss Music")

Linkage:
http://fileanchor.com/60237-d

Apologies for the shitty rhythm guitar tone (and weak production), my amp doesn't cut through a crowded mix like this very well.

Equipment used:

ESP LDT MH-50 guitar in drop-d. Strings: 9s
Fender 15g fifteen watt amp with a broken speaker, using a tiny little yamaga g10 ten-watter as its speaker, lined through its headphone port with a spare patch cable. Actually sounds alot better than you'd think.

All guitar parts played by me-- fully, no loops or cut-up takes. The drums are just lifted from the original, but replaced with better samples. All the orchestral layers/keyboards (and bass guitar) are preserved from the original.

There's some sloppy guitar work (rhythm guitar especially), I attribute that to just wanting to get it done and not really caring much by this point. Tongue
as i said on msn, incredible

...actually i think i said amazing...

...it's incredible!
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
;_; I cried . . . First reason I cried, because I didn't do this before you. Second reason I cried, because someone else made a cover and it sounds soooooooo goood.
Really rockin' stuff! Smile The tracked drums sort of detract from it though, IMHO - no "feeling" to them.
Quote:Really rockin' stuff! Smile The tracked drums sort of detract from it though, IMHO - no "feeling" to them.
Well, gimme a drumkit and a year or two to practice, and maybe I'll be able to address that point. Tongue
It's so nice. I love it Smile
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
is it me or is it mono? anyways, sounds neat, as others mentioned: the drums suck
quote="NecrosIhsan"]
[Image: yagl1.png]
[/quote]
What's so bad about the drums? I think the whole song goes together perfectly.
Quote:is it me or is it mono? anyways, sounds neat, as others mentioned: the drums suck
Gee, thanks. Nice criticism there. Confusedhifty:
What about them sucks? Why, exactly, do you think they suck? Are they mixed too far back? Snare too quiet? Something else? "They suck" is phrased more as an insult than anything that'd help me out. Tongue
Clip of the drums on their own:
http://fileanchor.com/61445-d

They are mixed a bit far back in the final song (or, more accurately, the guitars are too far forward), so the snare becomes lost and the hihat/cymbals do take up a bit too much space. But please, refrain from just bashing whatever you don't like. A reason would be very helpful. :b

EDIT: Oh, and also: No, the song definately isn't mono. What would make you think that? :-? Are you sure something isn't wrong with your computer's sound?
Regarding the drums, they just don't have any dynamics... they sound sort of "mechanical", especially the cymbal and bass drum. I guess this is hard to get around with tracked drums, but the rest of the song sounds so nice and "human"-y, so to speak, so it sticks out more. This is just my two cents, though. Smile