Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damn Intel
I was doing some low level bit masking and kept getting really strange results. It ran fine on my PowerPC, but when I loaded my virtual machine it started to give me wrong output. I blamed Windows originally then remembered that the problem layed in the Intel architecture. I wanted to know why so I asked my professor why and he didn't know.
Why did Intel choose Little Endian notation when every other chip in the world uses Big Endian?

Also, along the same lines, how are the bits lined up for 64bit Intel processors?
f you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices. The scary part is that if you play it forwards it installs Windows.
Since intel and amd 64 bit processors are mentioned as x86-64 I suppose they are backwards compatible and therefor use little endian too...
/post]
Well I figured that, but I don't know that Little Endian looks like for 64bits.

15-8, 7-0, 31-24, 23-16, ...How are these bits mapped?...
f you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices. The scary part is that if you play it forwards it installs Windows.
"Every other chip in the world" doesn't use big-endian; even the PowerPC allows switching to either endianness. There is nothing wrong with either endianness; they both make equal sense.

Code:
big-endian 64-bit int:    56-63 | 48-55 | 40-47 | 32-39 | 24-31 | 16-23 |  8-15 |  0- 7
little-endian 64-bit int:  0- 7 |  8-15 | 16-23 | 24-31 | 32-39 | 40-47 | 48-55 | 56-63
Reverse the code? Heh - I'm lost here.
Screwing with your reality since 1998.
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~magi/personal/hum...Peace.html
EVEN MEN OF STEEL RUST.
[Image: chav.gif]