Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOLVED! 25, 43, and 51 lines on screen.
I seem to have lost my previous 43-line screen, in text mode. I don't remember how I got to that, from my many years of 25 lines. Could someone help me re-learn this? Thanks for any help.

Edited on 10/19/06 5:35 PM Central Daylight Saving Time.
SOLVED! See my post of this date and 4:33 PM, at the end.
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
try

Code:
WIDTH 80, 43
Thanks, cha0s, your comment works perfectly, up to 50 lines per screen...for the program running window. I really meant for the IDE. I just found that I have two qb.exe files, as follows:

qb.exe...278 KB...Date Modified: 9/28/1988 5:32 AM...Ver 4.5
which shows a maximum of 20 lines for the blue, coding window.

qb.exe...273 KB...Date Modified: 2/17/1988 1:42 AM...Ver 4.5
which shows a maximum of 43 lines for the blue, coding window.

HMM... I ran each one directly, by double-clicking on their respective icons, and got the 20-line blue, coding screen for both! I normally run the 9/28/1988 qb.exe by means of a shortcut on my Office sidebar. And, when I run it thus, I get the 43-line blue, coding screen. Is there some default setting in the shortcut that allows the 43-line blue, coding screen? I'm puzzled!!! :roll:
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
I think there is... By the way- In the title you mentioned 51 lines. What was that for?

I prefer the 20 line format myself, it's easier to read with the DOS font.
In the beginning, there is darkness – the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
Skyler:

I thought there was a 51-line screen. But, it must be the maximum 50-line screen that I get in the program-running mode, with cha0s'
Code:
WIDTH 80,50

The blue, IDE screen is the one I was originally referring to. And, it should have been 20-lines and 43-lines, only. And, I still would like to know what to do to obtain the 43-lines.

I like the 43-lines during coding, so that I don't have to scroll up and down as much, when I'm trying to understand a program's logic on-screen.
Well, I don't know if it's 43 lines, but try running the IDE from a command line. invoke it with the /h option ^^ That's what I used back in the glory days
cha0s:

Your command line qb/h did, in fact, give me the 43-line blue screen. That works!

Now, the mystery remains, why does running qb.exe from a present shortcut that I have also give me the 43-liner? I created a new shortcut, and it gives me the 20-liner. ???
No more mystery! I found that, if one makes a shortcut to qb.exe, then does a right click on the shortcut's icon, selects Properties, Screen, and checks the Full-screen checkbox, then OK, when one next double clicks on that icon, QuickBASIC opens in a full-screen 43-line blue coding screen!

And, if one now makes it into a window, by pressing Alt+Enter, the 43-line screen is maintained!