Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EMS Magic 1.0 released (expanded memory emulator for WinXP)
That's right, it's finally done. Enjoy all those QB classics you couldn't run before in Windows XP, due to EMS problems: Wetspot 2, Shell Shock, Ultimate Super Stack, FoX, and more! Over 70 games and demos have been tested as fully working.

Grab it here: http://emsmagic.phatcode.net/

(Easy-as-cake Windows installer available.)
Congrats on releasing it. I'll have to give it a whirl sometime - not sure if my new machine has EMS problems, but it seems likely, since it has a lot of integrated components.
Awesome!
-yah
Nice. This has been wanting to be released forever. Big congrats on pulling through with it!

Captain Cosmosis anyone? :o hehehehehe (remembr?)
Quote:Nice. This has been wanting to be released forever. Big congrats on pulling through with it!

Captain Cosmosis anyone? :o hehehehehe (remembr?)

Yeah... I wanna play that game too damnit! Tongue

By the way, has anyone tried running anything that uses DS4QB and FutureLib? Maybe it just wont run without VDMSound. I can't remember what the DS4QB errors were like, but I got a path not found in MODULE something or other... which is way more than I ever got before. Good work! :lol:
Captain Cosmosis is next, after a few small side projects. (You'll see the project page is still up, which means I'm still working on it Smile )

I have no problems running games that use FutureLib. VESA problems in Windows XP seem to be related to the graphics driver. Sometimes the videoport driver patch helps. No luck with any version of DS4QB though. Even DS4QB++ seems to be broken with SP2.
i do not use any graphics but i am interested in general programming,
how would i use Ems Magic to use huge arrays?
(i have not opened the Ems Magic text).
MY QBASIC'S PAGE                                                  I ONLY USE WINDOWS 98SE
Quote:i do not use any graphics but i am interested in general programming,
how would i use Ems Magic to use huge arrays?
(i have not opened the Ems Magic text).

just a suggestion, you may consider FreeBASIC, which limits its arrays to um...

Code:
dim myarray as integer( 0 to 2147483647 )

Tongue
EMS Magic is not a way to create large arrays or anything like that; it's a way to allow programs to use EMS on machines that don't normally support it. Using EMS from the program's point of view is the same regardless. Google for "LIM EMS spec" or something along those lines for information about the EMS interface. XMS is generally considered to be better, though, if you're able to use that instead.
The memory routines (I think you can download them from QBNZ) I wrote ages ago used directqb's ems peek/poke functions to simulate malloc, which could then be used to create large arrays. I used the routines in my fighting game to store the large tables used for the moves.
esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!