Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please use thread "SOLVED! The old battle..."
I think that it was about a year ago that, heeding the consul of Na_th_an from Spain, I started to look for what programs were running in the background, as one of them was strongly suggested was the culprit of my problem in running QuickBASIC programs with graphics (using any SCREEN other than SCREEN 0, the default). I was able to see which programs, out of a total of 27 that were shown in a window, had their checkbox checked or not checked, and, by a process of elimination, found that flatbed.exe was the culprit!

Now, I don't remember how I was able to bring that window up! :???: Can anybody help me regain that knowledge?
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
Ctrl + Alt + Delete? (or right-click on taskbar and select Task Manager)
8% of the teenage population smokes or has smoked pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy and paste this in your signature.
Please do NOT post any more replies to this thread! Use the other, identical thread that is now preceded by SOLVED.

Marinedalek:
Thanks for your suggestion, but, no go. I somehow posted this same thread twice, for which I apologize. In the other thread, I changed the subject by entering SOLVED in front of it, and explaining that I had now found the answer I was looking for. It is:
Click on Start, Run, enter msconfig, OK. There, on the right-most tab, we find the programs that are running in the background, together with their checkboxes.
Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
Thank you for asking politely, Ralph. If you were demanding like some people, I would feel more inclined to reply to this thread. However, I will not because you asked nicely.
In the beginning, there is darkness – the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
Skyler:

Your reply let me to realize that I should change the Subject of my first post in this thread, which I have now done. Hopefully, it will steer others to the other thread.
Good. Now we can use this thread to discuss artificial intelligence.
In the beginning, there is darkness – the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
Hmm... O.K. What about artificial intelligence? Isaac Asimov, in his "The robots of Dawn", shows that rogotic intelligence is based 100% on logic, and, therefore, can never emulate mankind's emotional-based rationality. He also shows that, unless we can understand our own minds thorougly, we cannot design a "mind" similar to ours. Many of the famous philosophers have concluded that we can never achieve full knowledge of our own minds, so, in their collective opinion, we cannot. Of course, that is only their opinion, so, we may still be able to, in some future. But, for the present, I think that, AI is stuck with logic only, as are all our computer programs.
It would be simple to design an AI whose emotional state changed based on his surroundings, and his responses varied according to his emotional state. He could abruptly switch states for no apparent reason, or almost anything else.
Yes, but, a human being can react to the same stimulus or stimuli in the same or in different manner, at different times. If you build in a random factor into your AI, would it produce gibberish? Humans are rational, logic is not. In any case, a human can lie and, as time goes by, change, add, decrease, or, even, eliminate the lie. How would you begin to explain how to do this with AI, such that it would make sense, that is, such that the results would remain rational? Perhaps you could furnish an example, in words?
Quote:Humans are rational, logic is not.
Rationality is based on logic. My dictionary defines rational as follows:
Quote:Rational: Of or based on reasoning.
Reason: To think logically (about); analyze.

As for lying, I wouldn't want an AI that would lie to me. Maybe at some point of its development, it would develop that ability, but I wouldn't program it to do that.

And yes, I want one that can grow and mature, possibly modifying its own programming.

For the AI to be able to recognize and eliminate false information, it would need a database of true information to draw from. Unless it's supposed to have a certain political slant, the database should be objectively compiled- just facts and not theories.