Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux permissions
I set up Ubuntu on my old laptop today but the entire disk is blocked. I rightclicked on File System and looked at the permissions. The entire File System is Read Only Access and the owner is set as unknown so I can't change that, I'm the administrator, how do I fix it?
f you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices. The scary part is that if you play it forwards it installs Windows.
Are you using 6.6 or 6.10? Mine say read only too. Can you access your home directory?
In the beginning, there is darkness – the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
Read only for who? Normal users should only have read/write access in their /home directory, /tmp and possibly something like /local. If you need to write files elsewhere it should be done as root.

If you really need to change permissions for a directory (and make sure you really want to since Unix file permissions are that way for a reason) you can do this:
Code:
chmod a+wrX -R some_directory
Which will recursively apply read/write permissions (with execute for all things which already have it) to the given directory. It is fairly rare that you would want to do this though.
esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
check /etc/fstab, on your parition that you're trying to access, you may have the clause 'ro' there, which means readonly, try replacing it with 'rw'.

you shouldn't even have to do that though. having 'defaults' would be better, maybe even 'uid=[yourusername]' so that your user owns the mounted disk
Don't forget- sudo is your friend.

That reminds me. Last time I checked, the closest thing to an admin on Linux was root. And you shouldn't be using root as your default username.
In the beginning, there is darkness – the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
Quote:Don't forget- sudo is your friend.

That reminds me. Last time I checked, the closest thing to an admin on Linux was root. And you shouldn't be using root as your default username.
Ubuntu doesn't even give you the option.
[Image: 1403.png]
^ Infrosoft
http://www.thecodeyouneed.us.to/ - A wiki of source code, mostly in PHP and FreeBASIC
http://www.osadvocacy.uk.to/ - Your opinion matters no matter your OS
I didn't think so. I tried to log on as root the other day... uh-uh.
Ububntu has the root account disabled by default but it's quite easy to enable. The admin is instead encouraged to set up a proper /etc/sudoers file.
/post]
all you have to do (iirc) is 'sudo passwd root', then you can be root 'for real'