Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the ten distinct versions of Windows thus far...
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=231&tag=nl.e622

ZDNet rated them. I have to agree here with every system except for Windows Vista, which I do not have the hardware requirements for as of yet.

Your turn.
Screwing with your reality since 1998.
Fedora Core 3: 7
Ubuntu Edgy Eft: 9

Oh wait, those aren't Windows... never mind.
In the beginning, there is darkness – the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
Hrmm, it's missing Windows 1.0 and 2.0. I'd switch the scores for Windows 3.x and 95, other than that I pretty much agree. Except for Vista, which I'd give a 3 or 4.
There was a Windows 1.0 and 2.0?
In the beginning, there is darkness – the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
Yeh, they look like the QBIDE,,,
Screwing with your reality since 1998.
I have a copy of Windows 1.01 archived on one of my zillions of CDROMs...maybe I'll dig it up one day and mess with it again, it's pretty fun to see how these ancient systems worked...or didn't work.
\__/)
(='.'=) Copy bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination.
I owned a windows 1.0 until about a year ago (well possibly longer, I didn't check it until a year ago), I liked it, it never crashed.
I'd probably rate Windows 2000 a little lower and XP a little higher; the main reason for this would be the inclusion of IPv6 support in Windows XP (yes, I know there's "experimental" IPv6 support for Windows 2000, but it only works on SP1, not SP4, which is the latest, and yes, I do use the IPv6 support. Tongue I know these ratings are supposed to be placed in a historical context, but that's not much of an excuse - the BSDs and Linux had IPv6 support in the mid-1990s).

People tend to look through rose-colored glasses at the past and forget all the not-so-rosy parts, which is probably part of the reason Windows 2000 (and Windows 3.x) is rated so highly.

I'm also a bit surprised that XP SP2 is rated separately, since previous Windows service packs and patches had a similar effect on earlier versions of Windows (although maybe not in such a single large step).
I remember seeing Windows 1.0 on my friend's computer once... and thinking... "Wow, WTF is this thing?"

I *did* find QBasic on it, though. So that was fun. I made a fake formatting program and scared the bejesus out of him
ovaProgramming.

One night I had a dream where I was breaking balls. The next morning, BALLSBREAKER was born.

Quote: Excellent. Now you can have things without paying for them.

BALLSBREAKER 2
~-_-Status Report-_-~
Engine: 94%
Graphics: 95%
Sound: 100%
A Severe Error has crippled BB2 for the time being... I have to figure it out, but until then you won't see much of it Sad.
-----------------------------
ha ha, you sound like my brother... he wrote a program which told its user that the computer was under attack by the Blaster virus and was going to format its hard drive.