Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows Vienna
Microsoft has said that they plan to release Windows Vienna in 2009. This seems a little strange since it took them 7 years to develope Vista and Vista is basically XP with Mac-like graphics.

That got me thinking, Vista was supposed to have tons of new features and redesigned interface (No start button for instance.) But Microsoft said that some of the features that they had promised proved too difficult to implement. I wonder if it's possible that they have been working on Vienna for the past seven years and threw Vista together at the last minute. It seems that all Vista is is Windows XP wrapped up with select features of Vienna, and since Vienna was designed to be completely different is somewhat incompatible with XP, combining them made it incredible buggy.

Do you think Microsoft actually charged you $499 for something they designed to be a last minute stepping stone to prepare you for Vienna? What would they charge for Vienna I wonder?

So what do you think? 1) Is Vienna already mostly written and Vista is just scraps from it? 2) Microsoft can write Vienna in two years? 3) 2009 isn't even close to the actual release date?
f you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices. The scary part is that if you play it forwards it installs Windows.
I think by the time 2009 rolls around they'll be trying to push their little Unix experiment that they've been working on for us rather than their CP/M style OSes they've stuck to so far.
[Image: 1403.png]
^ Infrosoft
http://www.thecodeyouneed.us.to/ - A wiki of source code, mostly in PHP and FreeBASIC
http://www.osadvocacy.uk.to/ - Your opinion matters no matter your OS
Wait, Microsoft has been playing with Unix? When did this happen? Will they make it open source like Mac OS X and Linux?
f you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices. The scary part is that if you play it forwards it installs Windows.
Quote:Wait, Microsoft has been playing with Unix? When did this happen? Will they make it open source like Mac OS X and Linux?

Wait, Mac OS X is Open-Source!?
Quote:As a side note, I wish I was a robotic zombie ninja pirate.
Well I dont see the point of Vista anyway, why pay hundreds of dollars for some shiny see-through buttons....:roll:
It's ridiculous.
Oh and lets not forget those fancy 3D windows, that hardware has been capable of doing for atleast the last 10 years, but is pushed as something "awesome" now. Whoa.

And Microsoft is going to keep stealing your money until the end of time, it's a fact. You'll probably have Windows Dogshit in 2011, for another $500.
It's the difference between asking someone how much flour goes into pancakes, and handing them a sorry mix of oozing green goo and asking them to fix it." - Deleter

-Founder & President of the No More Religion Threads movement-
JUST USE LINUX!!!!
In the beginning, there is darkness – the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
Quote:Wait, Mac OS X is Open-Source!?

Yes.

Not everything of course (they don't want M$ stealing it again,) but the kernel and X11 and a bunch of other stuff is: http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html

I don't get Vista's fancy 3D windows. I tried to load it on my PC and the graphics card wouldn't support them, however Beryl running on Ubuntu does it just fine, so that's what I use :-). Ubuntu + Beryl + Wine > Vista
Like I said. Use Linux.
In the beginning, there is darkness – the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
Quote:Wait, Microsoft has been playing with Unix? When did this happen? Will they make it open source like Mac OS X and Linux?
They're dabbling with their own system they call "Singularity", which I believe, IIRC, was powered by some Unix-like kernel. It features a lot of the abilities and features I've seen in Inferno, which is a quite advanced Open Source OS that doesn't really recieve attention. I doubt they will ever open source this OS, because that would mean that they would be hypocrites.
[Image: 1403.png]
^ Infrosoft
http://www.thecodeyouneed.us.to/ - A wiki of source code, mostly in PHP and FreeBASIC
http://www.osadvocacy.uk.to/ - Your opinion matters no matter your OS
Hah! They're stealing open source code for their own commercial use!