Qbasicnews.com
:( Not good... - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: General (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General/Misc (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: :( Not good... (/thread-2518.html)

:( Not good... - oracle - 11-19-2003

Ummm.... I've just screwed my linux partition (no good window manager). An apt-get screwed me up, so I'm stuck in text-only mode (I'm posting this from lynx). So I might be away for a wee while until it's fixed, cos it's too much effort to browse a forum...

(ps: Mech, I think you sent me a PM, I haven't seen it yet).

:( Not good... - Mech1031 - 11-19-2003

alls it says is "weeeee, new avatar Wink"

:( Not good... - LooseCaboose - 11-19-2003

Quote:Ummm.... I've just screwed my linux partition (no good window manager). An apt-get screwed me up, so I'm stuck in text-only mode

How did you manage that ;-). You could use this as an excuse to upgrade to the latest versions of X and KDE/Gnome though. Also a good time to learn how powerful Unix variants are from just the command line, you can browse the web, send email, create pdf documents and lots more without ever using a graphical user interface.

:( Not good... - Rhiannon - 11-19-2003

without graphics? eeeww :barf:

:( Not good... - oracle - 11-19-2003

Quote:
Oracle Wrote:Ummm.... I've just screwed my linux partition (no good window manager). An apt-get screwed me up, so I'm stuck in text-only mode

How did you manage that ;-). You could use this as an excuse to upgrade to the latest versions of X and KDE/Gnome though. Also a good time to learn how powerful Unix variants are from just the command line, you can browse the web, send email, create pdf documents and lots more without ever using a graphical user interface.

Huh. I ran apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade. The upgrade uninstalled quanta on me. That's not good I thought, so I tried doing apt-get install quanta, and it said "quanta needs kdelibs3, but it's not going to be installed". And I shutdown and restart, only to find that KDE is gone and in it's place is some crap called twm. So I CTRL+ALT+F1, aptitude, nup, everything is stuffed. I rang my cousin, he said to do an apt-get dist-upgrade, which I've just done but it hasn't got KDE back...

I think the apt-get got kdelibs4, but didn't bother to get a new KDE to go with it... can't you get KDE for kdelibs4?

:( Not good... - Sterling Christensen - 11-19-2003

Do you get KDE's graphical login screen? Maybe KDE wasn't completely uninstalled. KDE apps can run in twm. Try running konqueror or mozilla from an xterm.

:( Not good... - oracle - 11-20-2003

KDE wasn't completely uninstalled, I could still start KDM yesterday. But today, after finishing doing what APT wanted KDM says it's started but I don't get a graphical login at all... so that's why I'm in windows now Smile

My cousin's gonna log in remotely and play around with it later...

:( Not good... - ---Turbo Fx--- - 11-20-2003

Why don't you just install windows.

:( Not good... - oracle - 11-21-2003

I've got a windows partition already Wink

But I need linux back to do work in Smile