Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
:( Not good...
Ummm.... I've just screwed my linux partition (no good window manager). An apt-get screwed me up, so I'm stuck in text-only mode (I'm posting this from lynx). So I might be away for a wee while until it's fixed, cos it's too much effort to browse a forum...

(ps: Mech, I think you sent me a PM, I haven't seen it yet).
alls it says is "weeeee, new avatar Wink"
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
Quote:Ummm.... I've just screwed my linux partition (no good window manager). An apt-get screwed me up, so I'm stuck in text-only mode

How did you manage that ;-). You could use this as an excuse to upgrade to the latest versions of X and KDE/Gnome though. Also a good time to learn how powerful Unix variants are from just the command line, you can browse the web, send email, create pdf documents and lots more without ever using a graphical user interface.
esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
without graphics? eeeww :barf:
igitalblackie.com - Done! Smile Ask about our hosting Wink

-Goddess of the of the No More Religion Threads movement Smile
Quote:
Oracle Wrote:Ummm.... I've just screwed my linux partition (no good window manager). An apt-get screwed me up, so I'm stuck in text-only mode

How did you manage that ;-). You could use this as an excuse to upgrade to the latest versions of X and KDE/Gnome though. Also a good time to learn how powerful Unix variants are from just the command line, you can browse the web, send email, create pdf documents and lots more without ever using a graphical user interface.

Huh. I ran apt-get update, then apt-get upgrade. The upgrade uninstalled quanta on me. That's not good I thought, so I tried doing apt-get install quanta, and it said "quanta needs kdelibs3, but it's not going to be installed". And I shutdown and restart, only to find that KDE is gone and in it's place is some crap called twm. So I CTRL+ALT+F1, aptitude, nup, everything is stuffed. I rang my cousin, he said to do an apt-get dist-upgrade, which I've just done but it hasn't got KDE back...

I think the apt-get got kdelibs4, but didn't bother to get a new KDE to go with it... can't you get KDE for kdelibs4?
Do you get KDE's graphical login screen? Maybe KDE wasn't completely uninstalled. KDE apps can run in twm. Try running konqueror or mozilla from an xterm.
KDE wasn't completely uninstalled, I could still start KDM yesterday. But today, after finishing doing what APT wanted KDM says it's started but I don't get a graphical login at all... so that's why I'm in windows now Smile

My cousin's gonna log in remotely and play around with it later...
Why don't you just install windows.
xpect to see some great stuff from us...
I've got a windows partition already Wink

But I need linux back to do work in Smile