Qbasicnews.com
I am fed up with one liners... - Printable Version

+- Qbasicnews.com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum)
+-- Forum: QbasicNews.Com (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Site/Forum Issues (http://qbasicnews.com/newforum/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: I am fed up with one liners... (/thread-3232.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

I am fed up with one liners... - KiZ - 02-24-2004

I think the best overall idea would be that the post count is moved to the profile, but th title (ie member rank) stays next to posts. That is of course if anything happens at all. I think we are all too up tight about the whole issue. Here, have some pot and forget about this whole issue..... Big Grin

I am fed up with one liners... - Rhiannon - 02-24-2004

Uh...i remember posting this yesterday, but the post is gone, so i'll say it again:

why go thru so much trouble when we can just ask people to limit their useless oneliners and smilie posts?

I am fed up with one liners... - toonski84 - 02-24-2004

Because people suck.

(Was that a one-liner? Maybe.)

Try asking that damned malaysian guy next door to turn down his amp because he's horribly off key, and you'll see what response you get (not that I've had experience with this or nothing).

I am fed up with one liners... - Zap - 02-24-2004

For reseting post counts I don't care, I don't have to many anyways Wink. I don't suppose you'd need any mod for that, just some mySQL for setting all the values to zero.

About making the post count visible only in the profiles, all that needs to be done is to delete some lines from a template file, but there's a "mod" that will help you at http://www.phpbbhacks.com.

And the chat. There are three alternatives: Tagboard (not really a chat though), refreshing tagboard (get's really anoying after a while because of the refresh), and a real IRC chat. The cool thing about the real chat is ofcause that it's a real chat without anoying refreshes and such, but then. the downside is that you have to login and download the java applet first.

Installing the mod that disables post count in certain forums is easy aswell, I just did it at qbasic.tk. But I don't know if it would solve the problem here, the problem at qbtk was that many people had an urge to post totally irrelevent posts in serious topics.... real spam.

There's also another alternative to post counts. It's called points awarding system or something. When someone asks a question, they set out a number of "points" it will give to answer their question, and then, when someone replies with an answer they can use, they press 'My question is answered by this post', and the poster recieves the points. That would only work for the "helping" forums ofcause, but I just thought you might like to hear.

I am fed up with one liners... - Zack - 02-24-2004

That still doesn't solve the problem that newbies (the most frequent question askers, pretty much) won't bother to click it. I mean, if I came to a C forum, was in a hurry, asked a question, had it solved, I'd just say thanks and leave. Probably wouldn't even notice the link.

I am fed up with one liners... - Rhiannon - 02-24-2004

The problem isnt the newbies. The problem is arising from people that have been on the forum for awhile now. Again....i think by asking nicely and a little scourging from the admins, i'm sure it can be pulled off.

I am fed up with one liners... - oracle - 02-25-2004

Quote:Would it be hard to remove users that hasn't logged in for, let's say, 3 months? I have a feelings there's a lot of "dead" users registered here (homework beggers for instance *hate*).

I don't think we'll be pruning the database like that. Since this is like the "home" of qb, it's probably better that people can see there's lotsa members Wink

Quote:As for the post issue, I guess the most ideal thing to do would be for the admins to give out ranks, but that's tedius. Maybe forum awards like a golden ribbon would honor the really helpful peeps out there, or something different for good programmers who show off cool stuff.

There's an idea... perhaps if none of the other ideas will work for us that could be arranged.

However, a javascript refreshed chat would probably be just horrible... I don't mind coughing up bandwidth at QBNZ but here wildcard actually has to pay Wink

Quote:why go thru so much trouble when we can just ask people to limit their useless oneliners and smilie posts?

Cos we've asked before, and besides if a new spammer joins in two weeks time (when this topic is buried), they won't know about this. However, if they see they're not gonna get any reward for their actions they may think twice. It's just a "helpful" way of trying to stop spammers, and won't be much trouble for me to install, or you guys to put up with, so it can only be good news.

Quote:For reseting post counts I don't care, I don't have to many anyways . I don't suppose you'd need any mod for that, just some mySQL for setting all the values to zero.

Unfortunately I don't think it's as simple as that, the moment we do a db resync it'll throw a spaz...

Quote:About making the post count visible only in the profiles, all that needs to be done is to delete some lines from a template file, but there's a "mod" that will help you at www.phpbbhacks.com.

Yeah, I was just gonna delete {postrow.POSTS} or whatever it was in the .tpl :lol:

Quote:Installing the mod that disables post count in certain forums is easy aswell, I just did it at qbasic.tk. But I don't know if it would solve the problem here, the problem at qbtk was that many people had an urge to post totally irrelevent posts in serious topics.... real spam.

It would help, admin would spam posts in forums other than general, they're against forum rules, and if the spammer keeps it up they'd be on the end of a nice, long ban Wink

Quote:The problem isnt the newbies. The problem is arising from people that have been on the forum for awhile now. Again....i think by asking nicely and a little scourging from the admins, i'm sure it can be pulled off.

That's what this thread has done. Anyway, these measures are "assistance" as it were, they won't replace actual moderation. We'll continue to delete rubbish etc, these measures will just help reduce that amount of rubbish. I start uni soon, so I won't be on nearly as often, so the last thing I want to do is spend all that time on deleting rubbish...

[edit]There's now a chat facility thanks to Fling: http://qbasicnews.com/sections.php?id=7. And I'm going to install the age mod. I'm also looking for a karma mod, but Fling pointed out that if nobody cares about their post count there's no point of resetting it, so I won't do that unless you guys specifically want me to.

I am fed up with one liners... - oracle - 02-25-2004

I've found the following mod:

Code:
##############################################################
## MOD Title: Rating system
## MOD Description: Users rate individual posts to produce overall ranks for posts, topics and users. Highly-configurable admin system, allows ranking labels and graphics, negative voting, rate on first post only, ranks based on totals or averages, see who rated (+ allow anonymity). Designed to minimise performance impact on viewtopic and viewforum screens.
## MOD Version: 1.1
## MOD Author: Gentle Giant < phpbb@mywebcommunities.com > (Richard Yendall) www.mywebcommunities.com
## Thanks to those at phpBB.com who helped with coding, advice and bug-busting
##
## Installation Level: (moderate)
## Installation Time: 20 Minutes
##############################################################

Does this sound good?

(ps: check my post above - I edited it to say we've got a chat thing now)

I am fed up with one liners... - na_th_an - 02-25-2004

I think it sounds reaaaaaally cool.
Go for it, dude!

I am fed up with one liners... - TheBigBasicQ - 02-25-2004

Oracle that mod is very dangerous. I personally dislike the idea of a rating system. IMO Karma mod is great. If people see your post count only in your profile then it wont create a problem =).