Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
90-minute old-skool game creation challenge in FB!
Dearest all of you QB45/QB71/FB community,

Hello to all of you and welcome to my very first FB-only challenge!!! Big Grin !

Alright. Your drill for this one is to simply create a completed old-skool game in FreeBASIC in just 90 minutes or less using only these following rules:
  • 1. You can use *any* library/libraries in FreeBASIC you want — such as GFXlib2, SDL, Allegro, BASS, FMOD, or whatever you’d like!

2. Your game must have a one- and/or a two-player feature, and no more than that.
    (One player games are alright with me as well!)

3. Your game must be in 2D only, not 3D.

4. Your game must ESPECIALLY have some sort of old-skool flavor to it, like a Tetris clone, or a remake of an old arcade classic (think Centipede, Gradius, or even Pang!), or even an adaption of an ancient computer/console game (for instance, something like Super Mario Bros. or Giana Sisters!) Wink=b

5. Text adventure games (like Zork) and adult-themed games are not allowed for this challenge. Sorry.
    (However, all *other* text-based games are allowed as well! Cool )

6. You may enter this challenge as many times as you want, no entry limit! Big Grin
Remember, your game must be completed in indeed 90 minutes or less from the moment you start your new game coding within FB from scratch. If you are all done, present to me your game in this thread with the time that it took you to create your game. Here is an example:

Quote:Game created: Z-Type (a quick and original R-Type clone)
Time taken: 87 minutes

(Game’s .zip/.rar file or source-code goes here!)

As for your sprite/music creation for your game, you may take as long as you want, but you *only* get 90 minutes for the coding of your game alone (which includes piecing them all together in your code, too!). Smile !

Ok. The deadline for this challenge will definitely be on Saturday, February 18, 2006. NO EXCEPTIONS. After that, I will begin an official voting thread for this challenge, and it will take place then in the “General” section of these forums.

So, start your coding engines, everyone, and may the best FB old-skool game win!!! Big Grin

PLACING YOU ON YOUR MARKS FOR SHEER BACK-IN-THE-DAY GAMING,

[Image: file.php?id=32]
Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow” ::: Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger” ::: Webmaster of the “AAP Official Projects Squad”
Original Creator of the “The New FreeBASIC 8-Bit Palette Machine” and “AFlib2 - Aura Flow Library 2”

UPDATE (on 1-04-2006 at 5:03pm EST): In order to add some decency and balance to this challenge, I have just now updated Rule #5 tonight. Please see the rules again for more details, and thanks again, everybody!!! Big Grin

UPDATE (on 1-30-2006 at 12:43am EST): This message has been just updated again, this time with the exact deadline date and some new and important information that I have just announced today. Just so you know more clearly now. Wink !
url=http://dhost.hopto.org/aapproj/][Image: file.php?id=194][/url]
Your *official* home of the FreeBasic GFX Demo Central, now holding over 150 FB graphics demos so far!!! Big Grin !

Messages In This Thread
90-minute old-skool game creation challenge in FB! - by Adigun A. Polack - 12-16-2005, 05:15 AM
Challenge has now ended. - by Adigun A. Polack - 02-19-2006, 10:58 AM