Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So how did you get your nickname used here?
Quote:I don't care which is better. But I think that having the old one when the whole word uses metric is an obstacle. Changing isn't much of a hassle. The only thing against changing I could think about is the nostalgy factor.
It's not so difficult to change. It looks like it's difficult at first, but I guarantee you that in two years you'll know exactly how long is a kilometre or how heavy is a kilogram.

Having to change all the driving signs, for example... well, I don't think it's a very big problem.
I haven't actually researched the issue of converting to a metric system. The excerpt of the article that I posted before, I found by chance a few months ago.

Nathan, you say that you don't care which is better. You're right. Which is better is not the issue. Both systems have their merits.

The big issue is CHANGE. You say that changing isn't much of hassle, and that it's not so difficult to change. You're right regarding change on an individual basis. But what about on an industry-wide basis? The automotive industry in the USA is undergoing some bad times. What would happen to this industry if you now burdened it with a conversion to metric? And what about all the other major industries?

Frankly, I don't know how they sustained the change to metric in the UK. They must have really been eager to get into the European Common Market.

Messages In This Thread
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Anonymous - 02-09-2006, 03:48 PM
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Anonymous - 02-14-2006, 09:58 PM
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Anonymous - 02-16-2006, 10:05 AM
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Anonymous - 02-17-2006, 09:04 AM
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Moneo - 02-19-2006, 06:57 AM
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Anonymous - 04-26-2006, 03:21 PM
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Anonymous - 04-27-2006, 12:55 PM
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Anonymous - 04-28-2006, 06:30 PM