Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So how did you get your nickname used here?
Quote:
Moneo Wrote:The big issue is CHANGE. You say that changing isn't much of hassle, and that it's not so difficult to change. You're right regarding change on an individual basis. But what about on an industry-wide basis? The automotive industry in the USA is undergoing some bad times. What would happen to this industry if you now burdened it with a conversion to metric? And what about all the other major industries?

Well, we changed our money. What can be more difficult than changing your mind about how many stuff costs? That's why I say that it's easy, 'cause I know what's changing your mind radically......

I'll admit that changing the currency is a major issue, involving the government, the banking industry, and many facets of business systems, as well as having an impact on every individual.

However, changing the currency does not compare in magnitud to a change to the metric system for every manufacturing industry. Can you imagine, just the planning of such a transition for an industry like the automotive industry, gives me a headache.

Such a change involves redesigning and reengineering the entire automobile. All the vendors that used to supply the industry with parts may not be able to now provide similar metric parts. Do we wait for the vendors to tool-up, or do we open additional factories to make the metric parts needed? And what about the tools and robots used in the manufacture? Where do I obtain the alternate metric tools and robots? What about the service departments of the dealerships for these automobiles? They'll need new tools also.
Personnel that work on the shopfloor of the manufacturing sites, will need new training.

I could go on and on. I thing you can appreciate all that is involved.

Change is good when you're selling it, but it's a real bear when you have to buy it.

Messages In This Thread
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Anonymous - 02-09-2006, 03:48 PM
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Anonymous - 02-14-2006, 09:58 PM
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Anonymous - 02-16-2006, 10:05 AM
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Anonymous - 02-17-2006, 09:04 AM
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Moneo - 02-21-2006, 08:16 AM
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Anonymous - 04-26-2006, 03:21 PM
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Anonymous - 04-27-2006, 12:55 PM
So how did you get your nickname used here? - by Anonymous - 04-28-2006, 06:30 PM