Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
platform wining conditions
IYOH, what is the best goal in a platform game for the player to complete. you know, like colecting a green key opens the green door or collecting all of a certain object in the game opens a exit door somewhere.

Also, do you prefer a side scoller to have min y movment (like the old mario bros) or do you like to have to go up and down alot.

personly i believe that having not much y movement is easier to play, (cause your path is pretty much set for you) but is a bit boring.
Any platform game which has some adventure elements in it is good for me. Find objects, combine them and use them somewhere, plus all the action of avoid falling ledges and stuff.

I like both vertical-scrollers and non-vertical scrollers. SMB3 is my favourite of the latter, but I also love the former. You should try Knuckles Chaotix for the Sega MD32X... It is very innovative and it is really cool, also.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
I feel instead of a door/collecting an object you should rather put some creature/enemy that would block your path to the door and you should kill it to get to the door. That is really fun. Kinda prince of persia(Classic one!) :bounce:
the reason i ask is that i've made a basic platformer before, but i thought it sucked. I was thinking of making another version but really putting some effort into it. This was my way of basicly 'researching' what popular opinion was.
Having a enemy guard a door would be the boss levels goal most probably.

Thanx for the suggestion nath (as usual), but the I cant really tell popular thoughts on this with only 2 replies, is it that you guys dont care, or are too lazy to share your thoughts?
well make sure to either have a really sexy main character, or a real fuzzy and cute main character. For some reason, if you main character is neither that platform game ussaully sucks.

Or better yet, just redo mario worlds sprites and youll have a winner Wink

But seriously, heres some very important tips:

a)in mid jump, i want some leway in changing direction damnit! if i cant compromise my jump in mid air the gameplay is ruined(theres very few execptions i can name to this rule, like 1)

b)let me move back and forth through the level, i dont want to be forced only to go forward ala the first mario.

c)2 player support!

d)yes, add the y axis, it adds some new characterists to the game.

e)nice cheerful graphics, im playing quake right now and the 64,000 shades of gray are killing me. I maxed the brightness out so at least it looks all white now

f)cheats! especially hidden places that let you warp to new levels or hidden levels
b]Hard Rock[/b]
[The Stars Dev Company] [Metal Qb flopped] [The Terror]
Stop Double Posts!
Whats better? HTML or Variables?
Quote:or are too lazy to share your thoughts?

They are too lazy Wink

More suggestions: Try to add aesthetics. I mean: original musical soundtrack (with a different song for each level), and different tiles (ambientation) for each level. This will make your game be more catchy.

This is very important, 'cause most QB platformers fail to be catchy 'cause all the levels look very similar one from another.

If you can achieve it: use parallax. Let your game be FAST!!!

There is something that I didn't implemented to Jill that I like a lot: Just a tap in the jump button makes the player jump. Pressing the jump button for a longer period of time makes it jump higher. This happens in Sonic or Mario, for example, for you to get the picture. This gives more control over the player.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
If you are planning to use any lib. Which will that be? and Why?
I think a platformer for QBasic that would be possible would be to do one like Super Mario Land III, otherwise known as Wario Land. For gameboy, that was one of the best platformers ever, because:

40 levels, with different settings, and bosses at the end of each section.
You could go back and redo levels looking for secrets, and there was a bonus if you found all the coins (which was damn hard).
As a point of interest, each sprite was the same size, so that would be easy to do in QBasic.
Wario had powerups whiched changed him in some way (usually hats).

There, I'm not lazy, am I?
Wow, you guys really care, you do! *sniffsniff* :wink:

Really, thanx for the suggestions, ill try my hardest to actually produce a game that i can be VERY proud of!

BigBasicQ: Im using Rellib. I know it quite well, and its really fast!
Ive allready got a p*p scolling engine with p*p scolling enemies and some basic animation going at 70 fps (vsynced) on my P166!

Unfortunatly, recommending games that you liked is a bit usless for my. Being a middle class student in South Africa means theres no chance of me owning a gaming platform or buying games for my PC. The only games I play are QB ones and duke 1 & 2 (my inspiration) era games.

Nathan, as usual, and hard rock, those points are very interesting i i look forward to trying to put them in my game! I never actually finished 'Jill', but what I saw I liked!
Quote:Wow, you guys really care, you do! *sniffsniff* :wink:

Really, thanx for the suggestions, ill try my hardest to actually produce a game that i can be VERY proud of!

BigBasicQ: Im using Rellib. I know it quite well, and its really fast!
Ive allready got a p*p scolling engine with p*p scolling enemies and some basic animation going at 70 fps (vsynced) on my P166!

Unfortunatly, recommending games that you liked is a bit usless for my. Being a middle class student in South Africa means theres no chance of me owning a gaming platform or buying games for my PC. The only games I play are QB ones and duke 1 & 2 (my inspiration) era games.

Nathan, as usual, and hard rock, those points are very interesting i i look forward to trying to put them in my game! I never actually finished 'Jill', but what I saw I liked!

Hey man you arent alone. There are many out there who havent played games. As for me I havent played a single game since '97. So do your best creating an original game. :wink: