Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a new computer
I never thought i would have to do this but, I am in the market for a new computer and am willing to spend $2,500 american currency. and i don't really want to buy a whole bunch of different parts from other companies and build a computer. anybody have any good suggestions??

*note*I said i want to BUY a computer, not BUILD one *note*
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
They're really not hard to build, it takes about 24 hours. Just find a local computer store, and if you have any trouble with jumper switches and the like, they'll be glad to test the hardware for you.

And $2500 will get you literally the best pc money can buy and leave you with $500 left over if you're saavy.

Buuuut, get a laptop. $2500 can buy you a nice one, and you might as well get something you can take with you.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
yeah, i already have a laptop. but it is outdated (winbook xl2). And i really would like a desktop for playing games that require high res and good sound/graphix cards (Radeon or some stuff like that). and incase you didn't read the note from above...

*note*I want to BUY a computer, not BUILD one*note*

don't mean to be rude, i just don't really have the time to build/learn to build a PC.
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
Alienware.com
Yeah, those are some great PC's. but i probably should have been more clear in the first post. i don't want to build a computer, or buy one from an online store. the original plan was to find a good pc, then go to the nearest outlet/store that sells that kind of package with the warranties and what not. that is why i posted hear, otherwise, i would have ordered it from some place like(just examples):

Dell.com
hp.com
(maybe)Tigerdirect.com

but scince this is not the case, any more suggestions???
he wanted to BUY a new computer, not GIVE AWAY HIS MONEY!!!

I saw those computers... huge, spiffy, and good specs, but they are WAY overpriced.

I'm having the same dillema too.. not so good computers here, or computer parts stores. At least new computer parts.

You should spend at most $1500 dude... that will get you 1024megs of RAM (512 installed, buy 512, have THEM install it (and test)), 120-160gigs, 2.8ghz, nice big monitor, keyboard/mouse/speakers, Sony (HP/Compaq is bad IMHO)..

3ghz = not available

I'm getting a dud for a while until I find something good.
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
The dilema here is that i want a 19" flatscreen moniter(Sony), wireless keyboard/mouse(logitech), powerfull PC(undecided), and huge-ass speakers(Bose), and nobody sells pakages like that!! so i thought i could buy most the stuff seperately and put it together. so basically i am looking for the PC itself, not stuff like monitors and other "accesories"(although i would hardly call a monitor an accesory).
[rantish statement]
I have a Logitech/IBM infrared mouse. it's good. (says Logitech on device settings thing, IBM on the mouse itself)

I thought of getting flatscreen, but I don't need it, since I have a lot of space to put a monitor.. wouldn't matter to me. 19 inch flatscreen would be expensive, though.. much more than 17 inch..

Anyways, reason I like Sony is because of the TVs.... my family have had two Sony TVs for 12+ years, and they never caused us any problems at all. They're like brand new after all this time. I don't trust anyone except Sony or IBM, which I don't think makes affordable personal computers anymore. I always hear / witness computers from any other company fry, except IBM/Sony. (the reason: no one buys them.. like Moneo said, cheap things are expensive Smile)
[/rantish statement]
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
MEC,
You mention that you want to buy in an outlet/store. Well then you're only going to find what is sold in the stores near you. I don't know where in Conn. you live, but if New York City is not too far, you might take a shopping trip there as well.

I suggest you make a list of all the things you want including ghz, memory, disk size, video ram, etc. The do some smart shopping, but only shopping. Take your list with you and a notepad. Write down all the prices and configurations that you would be interested in buying. Don't let the salemen bully you. Make sure the prices thay give you are posted or in a catalog, otherwise when the realize that you're only shopping, they'll "low-ball" you. That means they'll give you a rediculously low price just to make you come back. Hey, after a day or two of this shopping, you'll be an expert. Later, armed with all this information, you'll be ready to make a smart buy.

Oh, by the way, if you ar interested in any name brands like IBM, HP, etc., also check out their websites. It will give you an idea of model numbers (which are tricky), configurations and prices, which you can use as a guide. Put these into your notepad too.

Good luck.
Quote:MEC,
Hey, after a day or two of this shopping, you'll be an expert. Later, armed with all this information, you'll be ready to make a smart buy.

Not only that, but show the stores what their competitors are offering. Let them compete for your money; you'll be surprised at the results. :wink: