Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
more c++ stuff
iostream is the standard basic I/O system lib right?
but what is DOS.H and what commands does it contain?
what do I need if I want to leave theoretical programming
wich only communication using the screen is cout/cin
I want to do graphics etc.
/post]
There are two ways:

- You use libs like Allegro
- You make your own graphic routines (with ASM or poke/peek like commands)

BTW, what compiler do you use???
B 4 EVER
DOS.H comes with old borland DOS compilers... You should avoid them, they stink Wink.

Go http://www.delorie.com and download DJGGP, or look for Cygwin or some free and modern C compiler.

And I say the same as ak00ma: Download and install allegro. There is not "built-in" graphic functions in C, so you have to code them yourself or rely on other people's explendid work. Allegro isn't just a graphics library but a complete game library. You can do portable and fast code which compile for DOS, Windows, Linux, BeOS and Mac. There are lots of side libraries which use allegro to play MOD music (JGMOD), to display Jpegs, mpegs, to interact with OpenGL (even in MSDOS!) and lots of interesting stuff.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
dont use allegro for windows. it's better to use individual libraries, for keyboard, sound, etc. sdl destroys allegro in speed, and there are many libraries with better abilities than its non-graphical functions. allegro is great for dos though, and i highly recommend it there.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Quote:dont use allegro for windows. it's better to use individual libraries, for keyboard, sound, etc. sdl destroys allegro in speed, and there are many libraries with better abilities than its non-graphical functions. allegro is great for dos though, and i highly recommend it there

Why not? Its probably the easiest library to use i have ever worked with, and id try sdl, but ive been reading the sdl license forever and i still dont get it,

does the lgpl license let you close your source or not???????? I know the gpl doesnt...
b]Hard Rock[/b]
[The Stars Dev Company] [Metal Qb flopped] [The Terror]
Stop Double Posts!
Whats better? HTML or Variables?
i know lots of sdl programs that have closed source. and if you dont like sdl directx and opengl are still faster. there's going to come a time when you're going to have to learn the more difficult syntax that interfaces directly (e.g. direct or opengl). sdl is much closer to that step than allegro is (it's a near clone of directx), and i recommended it because it's faster but still portable for whatever reason. challenge yourself, man. if you just want ease then stick with qb.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Quote:i know lots of sdl programs that have closed source
Yes but occording to the license is it legal to do so is my question.

Quote:). sdl is much closer to that step than allegro is (it's a near clone of directx), and i recommended it because it's faster but still portable for whatever reason. challenge yourself, man. if you just want ease then stick with qb.
Heh, im just using allegro to get comfortable with C, and the windows api, after that its screw sdl and on to direct x and opengl, i think im going to use glut with opengl though,

But i do think allegro makes things a bit TOO easy, i mean even 99% of people who use qb get to call their own palette routines, but allegro does that for you, er.

On sdl, ive looked at it, but never used it, multi threading looks cool, but the main use i see for it is sound, but all sound routines do that for you...

but i guess you could implement triple buffering, and logic threads..... if it works like i think it does.... (
b]Hard Rock[/b]
[The Stars Dev Company] [Metal Qb flopped] [The Terror]
Stop Double Posts!
Whats better? HTML or Variables?
to my knowledge in lgpl you only have to release changes to the library itself. not necessarily routines that use the library, but modifying, say, a blit routine you'd have to release the new blit routine. the rest of the program is yours to close.

i probably agree with you on the libraries. directx and opengl are your best libs. sdl works best as a way to port directx programs to other platforms like linux.
what is gpl sdl etc?

...So allegro is the most widely used library but where do I dl it?
I have seen some ftp site but the ftp just opens up in explorer
and there is plenty of files so I dont know wich to dl.

and do I just write #include <allegro.h> or something like that?
/post]
Quote:what is gpl sdl etc?

...So allegro is the most widely used library but where do I dl it?
I have seen some ftp site but the ftp just opens up in explorer
and there is plenty of files so I dont know wich to dl.

and do I just write #include <allegro.h> or something like that?

A great resource site for allegro is http://allergo.cc you can download allegro from http://www.allegro.cc/files.