Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Encyclopedias
I would appreciate your opinions on multimedia encyclopedias, especially Encarta and Britannica.
hrist Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am first.(I Timothy 1:15)

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.(John 3:16)
Encyclopedias are okay for general information, but for important papers you'll probably want to get specific. It doesn't really matter if it's online or digitized or not, they just scan from the books.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
That's what I am looking for, is a good general reference work. I tend to look things up because I am curious. When a question crosses my mind, I try to find an answer. Having a good encyclopedia on my computer would help.

I tend toward wanting to go with Britannica, because I want well written articles with as much depth as possible. I also prefer not supporting Microsoft, but Encarta is supposed to have better search capabilities and linking.
hrist Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am first.(I Timothy 1:15)

that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.(John 3:16)
I think that the idea of not supporting Microsoft just because they're Microsoft is elitist and stupid. If a Microsoft product (and btw, Encarta owns) is superior, do yourself a favor and just use it and don't be an anti-Microsoft zealot, because zealots are dumb. [Image: icon_looney.gif]

Go with Encarta. Trust me. [Image: icon_paranoid.gif]
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
I like this one better :rotfl:

I'm not that familiar with either though... just ignore me Smile
Thanks for the opion Nek.

Oracle, thanks, but I don't like wading through all the junk to find the gems.

So true...
Oracle, where can I get a copy of that in paperback? :lol:

Seriously, I recommend against online encyclopedias. It's a lot safer, "easier", and more fun to just buy a damn collection of encyclopedias (A-Z preferrable). It doesn't cost that much, really... Big Grin
Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
Grolier was good, i don't know how good they are now though...
the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
Encarta 2003 came with my computer, it's very good.
For instance, on a search for...acetaminophen...I get a nice few paragraphs.
It's not really a complete, complete encyclopedia...but a good reference, nonetheless.
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.