Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visual C++
I'm considering asking for half-payment of a copy of Visual C++ for my birthday...just wanted to ask a few questions to those who have it.
1) Is it a good compiler?
2) Does the IDE and compiler fully support C programs as well? I mean, is there a "C console app" mode? And will the compiler spit out all these warnings about ANSI-C++, when I'm using perfectly proper ANSI-C, and don't care about C++?
3) I've been told (by PJ, props, dude, you made me jealous Tongue ) that it comes with three books on C++. Are they any good?
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
I'm considering asking for half-payment of a copy of Visual C++ for my birthday...just wanted to ask a few questions to those who have it.
Quote:1) Is it a good compiler?
Better then GCC worse then the INTEL one. But the intel compiler just plugs into the MSVC ide
Quote:2) Does the IDE and compiler fully support C programs as well? I mean, is there a "C console app" mode? And will the compiler spit out all these warnings about ANSI-C++, when I'm using perfectly proper ANSI-C, and don't care about C++?
Its the same as gcc in this regard. However, microsoft does use a few minor differences from other compilers(notably the assembler).

Quote:3) I've been told (by PJ, props, dude, you made me jealous ) that it comes with three books on C++. Are they any good?
*Looks* Not in my copy. And ive got professional.

My Suggestion:

NO. The benefits mscv gives you (AWESOME IDE, faster compiler, msdn on a CD Smile) are outweighed by the fact that gcc is free and can do anything msvc can(64 bit compiling included)

You dont need msvc, from my view, you have no use wasted hundreds of dollars on a piece of software for mfc support, when you probably wont even use it, and in a few years when you get a decent program going, your compiler will be outdated, and you'll need to upgrade it. What is in msvc that you desperately need?

And finally, you can download the STANDARD msvc C compiler for free, with documentation, and mfc support. Why waste a hundred bucks just for the IDE?
b]Hard Rock[/b]
[The Stars Dev Company] [Metal Qb flopped] [The Terror]
Stop Double Posts!
Whats better? HTML or Variables?
Linky linky linky! Please...I gotta see the C msvc...
Uh, somewhere at microsoft? DID you read the tutorials i sent you? No did you really? Becuase uh, if you read them again you might find this (sigh) http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/msvc.html

Whats the point of sending links in earlier posts if their not read? Next time ask uncle google before requesting links. At least you can pretend you used effort Wink
b]Hard Rock[/b]
Stop Double Posts!
Quote:(MSVC is) Better then GCC worse then the INTEL one. But the intel compiler just plugs into the MSVC ide

Better in what way? Gcc is more portable, has better support for C99 and is much cheaper. The speed of the code generated is dependant on the application and the target platform.
esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
This is quite the coincidence...wow...
Read the topic one up from this one in the General Section, HR.
[edit] Aww...I wanted the IDE...They only give you the compiler.
Im going by windows benchmarks here.

And in decence for msvc:
MSVC has mfc. and one hell of a debugger. You cant knock the debuger (i have no real idea how to use it, but you can see what your variables contain at run time, uber cool) and its contained in a great IDE.(yes, ive said that a lot now :-?, maybe i should stop mentioning it. )

Oh and btw zack, if you want to run msvc .net at anything faster then the speed of a snail, you better have a p4 comp handy.

[edit]
Quote:This is quite the coincidence...wow...
Read the topic one up from this one in the General Section, HR.
[edit] Aww...I wanted the IDE...They only give you the compiler.
You can delete the post then. And there are tons of free IDE's you know, many much better then dev-c++
b]Hard Rock[/b]
Stop Double Posts!
Really? But do they do all that jazz like have your structs, variables, etc. listed on the side?
And yeah, I'll delete that post...thanks for posting the link, though...again...heh. Tongue
And sorry I didn't read those tutorials before - the reason was that I didn't know plain DOS C in the first place. Smile
[edit]And btw, I do have a p4 2.4 ghz handy. Smile
Anyone who develops exclusively for the P4 better have a damn good reason for doing so. Big Grin

MSVC 98 (Visual Studio 6) is what I use. When I use it. The very rare occasion when I need to compile someone else's code. Tongue
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
Well, the truth is that I don't care about the compiler - Mingw32 is fine for me. But the IDE...*gasp*.