Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cash Register... Might find this interesting
Check out http://pages.prodigy.net/daleharris/pos.htm . This is a complete cash register program used in dozens of countries, written in Quickbasic 7.1. It has been downloaded an estimated 50,000 times, and is currently downloaded about 80 times a day...
If thats not impressive for a qb program, I don't know what is.

Whats most interesting is that this is a qb program used on a daily basis by many businesses. I have helped a bit with the project, mostly through my "aprint" program, which lets DOS programs print to windows-only printers. Anyway, thought some of you guys might be interested.

Jonathan Simpson
onathan Simpson
link is broken. just a 404
Fixed it, I hope. Sorry. btw, funny that you clicked the link about a whole 30 seconds after I posted it Smile
onathan Simpson
heh, yea. i wish i had something better to do with my time :oops:
Jonathan,
If you wouldn't mind sharing it, do you have a link to aprint? It sounds like a useful utility.
hrist Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am first.(I Timothy 1:15)

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.(John 3:16)
Well, most recent version is really a beta of 2.0, but I think that is the one you will find most useful. MUST be run from commandline.
For general use you could use listprinters to list all printers available, then when the user selects the printer, do listfonts to list the available fonts. Enjoy.
http://return.no-ip.org/aprinte.zip

Read the file, then read it again, then read it again. Remember, the file you print GETS DELETED, so create a new file to print. (yes, there is a reason for this.)

Jonathan Simpson
onathan Simpson
Whats the reason for the file to get deleted?
Well, theres a mode called "active", where the program hops into the background and prints the selected file whenever it appears. In that mode, if the file is not deleted, the program would print it over and over... etc.

Jonathan Simpson
onathan Simpson
ah i thought so a windows slave program =). It is similar to nek's midi player, it too uses the same concept.
Yeah, basically. I am slowly modifying it so it is less and less visible to the end-user. In the application it is used for, this is a good thing. I sent one version out which ran as an NT service, even, but anything that runs continously has to either delete the file or somehow check for changes in it.

Jonathan Simpson
onathan Simpson