Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ANOTHER Photoshop question...anti-aliasing
I have a problem with my graphics. I'm using Photoshop to make a logo. It's pretty much pure italic text. Anyway, when I don't anti-alias the text, it appears kinda ragged. Then I "anti-alias smoothe" it, and then it appears perfect when I'm designing the image, in the Photoshop app, but then, when I view it on a webpage, it looks worse than if it had NO antialiasing! By that I mean that the text is broken in places, crushed, jagged...
Is there a way to fix this? If not, is there any other way to make italic text that looks smoothe?
f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
you have a copy of the image? I dont understand what you mean. My only guess right now is that you've used a transparent gif with AA over a background it was not intended for. In that case you need to use 24-bit PNGS or keep it static over the background and copy/paste a screen into photoshop to use as a background.

But again, i could probably help you with an image.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Yea, the only reason for this is if you were using a transparent GIF.
If you are AAing the text, then DONT use a transparent GIF!!! Either make sure its not transparent or change to JPG. Problem solved.
Same'ere. When doing this kind of stuff, you have to use the "Save for Web", on it you have to select a matte colour so PS can "blend" the semitransparent pixels that are antialiasing your text with something.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
You haven't specified the format that you are using.

It's highly possible that you have your 100% quality uncompressed PSD which you have exported as a lossy format, such as GIF or JPEG. As a rule, don't use GIF Big Grin. If you have to, stick to images that have blocks of colour. JPEG is better for detailed pictures. I personally always use PNG.

What you might want to do is put the background of your PSD the background of the colour of your webpage, and export as PNG, or JPEG with >10 quality (out of PS's 12).

If that doesn't work, add me on MSN and send me the thing.

Italic text doesn't look that good anyway Big Grin

Have you ever considered pixel/bitmapped fonts? They are great, and look good with 0 antialiasing (as they are meant to). Check http://dafont.com if memory serves. They have a good repository of pixel fonts, even other styles in general.
·~¹'°¨°'¹i|¡~æthérFòx~¡|i¹'°¨°'¹~·-
avinash.vora - http://www.avinashv.net
Quote:don't use GIF

I gots to disagree with you there... Gif is one of the most versatile and low-size formats out there. For any that isnt a photo, it compresses better than anything else, and you can easily avoid bad AA if you know about it.
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
But, ah...I'm using transparency in my image. So...Save For Web, as you suggested?
There may not be a way to get past your problem completely... Gifs can do transparency, but they can't actually make images "see through", which is something that antialiasing is known to do. So jaggies just may occur in such a thing..
Quote:But, ah...I'm using transparency in my image. So...Save For Web, as you suggested?

new png format can do transparency i think, it's been a while (you might have to use XARA or mmfireworks for this)

would using the same color/pattern for the background of your image work? you can fake transparency like that in many cases.
ammit potato!
Gaaaaaah!
Okay, hold the PNG thought. I'm using PS7, so I'm not sure it supports that new type of PNG.
Anyway, I have text, and I antialias it, save it for web, and now it's very nice, but has a weird white jagged edge around it. The text is grey. Gah!