Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New and never-before-seen QB graphics modes discovered!
Dearest all of you QB45/QB71/FB community,

Hello and welcome, and I must show you something amazingly good tonight! Big Grin !

From just recent days ago in attempting to tweak QB screen modes 2-12 in order to reveal custom new modes, I discovered something awesome for you all:
  • • a 512x200x2 mode
    • [Image: qb512x200x21hw.gif]
    • a 512x350x16 mode
    • [Image: qb512x350x169fn.gif]
    • .....and, modes 512x200x16, 512x480x2, and 512x480x16 (not shown).

You can download my original special modes for QuickBASIC/QBasic right here. And, I am *sure* looking forward to seeing some benchmarks from you on them new modes. Wink=b

As well, I plan to write my own original tutorial for both QBasicNews.com and QB Express on how to access these and such other custom special modes in QB as:
  • • 512x133 graphics mode
    • 512x100 graphics mode
    • 512x80 graphics mode
....and much more!! Big Grin I promise you.

Be seeing you again, and do enjoy the new modes for good ‘ol QB!!! Cool

SHOWING YOU SOMETHING NEWLY FASCINATING,

[Image: file.php?id=32]
Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow”
Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger”
Webmaster of the “AAP Official Projects Squad”
url=http://dhost.hopto.org/aapproj/][Image: file.php?id=194][/url]
Your *official* home of the FreeBasic GFX Demo Central, now holding over 150 FB graphics demos so far!!! Big Grin !
when you said 512x200x16 and 512x480x16, i first thought you meant 16 bits of colours. Wink
Jumping Jahoolipers!
Pretty cool, Adigun.
Quote:'A BIG Special Thanks to Dmitry Brant!! ;*) !
'(Without him, this special graphics mode in QB would *not* have
' even been made possible!)
I remember that name, Dmitry Brant had a qb page with lots of very impressive programs. I wonder what he's up to now.
Quote:I remember that name, Dmitry Brant had a qb page with lots of very impressive programs. I wonder what he's up to now.
Probably back to stealing code as he did back in the day. Big Grin
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
He didn't steal code! He just... displayed other people's code on his page to share... yes!
Jumping Jahoolipers!
Quote:He didn't steal code! He just... displayed other people's code on his page to share... yes!
That's what they call it these days? :lol:
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
Quote:Probably back to stealing code as he did back in the day. :D
OIC. Wow, he sure fooled me.
Quote:
barok Wrote:He didn't steal code! He just... displayed other people's code on his page to share... yes!
That's what they call it these days? :lol:

yep!
Jumping Jahoolipers!
To Sterling:

Yes, Dmitry Brant did have a QB webpage indeed, my man. Big Grin ! I believe it was called QTopia (which first existed in around 1999!), where it did have some real awesome projects under his belt — including as well his own original program in QB where you can really get the original CD-Rom contents and stuff! And thank God that the site is archived really well through the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, so please click here to visit that classic hacienda of Dmitry’s indeed from back in the day.

And I no less than appreciate your honesty and support about my original QB graphics modes, too! :king:

To Barok and Adosorken:

You both are hot on the trail now ( Wink ), as you both are turning out to be correct on your *very* latest replies just before this one here from me. Yes, Dmitry’s site from 1999 indeed had programs from somebody else on there, including the highly-praised QB-created shmup Mono Space and Angelo Mottola’s other great game entitled Wetspot, among many things QB, too! Remember that? And while not all of the programs there are available for download, hey, at least many of them are! :wtnod:=b

Quote:very[/u] first reply in this thread, you"]when you said 512x200x16 and 512x480x16, i first thought you meant 16 bits of colours. Wink

Actually, Barok, from what I do know and remember well about the graphics mode descriptions and all, when I did say such things as 512x200x16, here is what I meant as an example:
  • ____________________________________________________________
    512x200x16
    • • 512 pixels horizontal
      • 200 pixels vertical
      • 16 displayable colors only (not 16-bit color)

.....and if I were to even do a 512x480x64k graphics mode, it’d go like this:
  • ____________________________________________________________
    512x480x64k
    • • 512 pixels horizontal
      • 480 pixels vertical
      • 65,556 displayable colors (definitely 16-bit color! Cool )

See, simple. Not as complicated as some might think it to be, really. Big Grin

And finally, to all of you:

Please take a brief peek at the custom QB graphics mode of mine called the 512x80x16 mode:

[Image: file.php?id=34]

......and from what I have experienced in the compiled .EXE file that I made of it in QB, it was much, *MUCH* faster and then some on the 450mhz Pentium-III computer that I use, even on QB’s own regular drawing primitives alone!! :o ! I mean, you can look at it for yourselves in the next download of this special mode right in here.

Needless to say, I was so impressed at the results!!! d=Big Grin=b

As I may have already said at my very opening of this thread, I am planning on indeed doing a tutorial based on the new graphics mode you just saw (as well as my other new ones, too!). FOR REAL. ;*)

Thank you all so much, and do take heart in having yourselves a splendid week!! ^_^ !

[Image: file.php?id=32]
- Adigun Azikiwe Polack
One of the Founders of “Aura Flow”
Continuing Developer of “Frantic Journey”
Current Developer of “Star Angelic Slugger”
Webmaster of the “AAP Official Projects Squad”
url=http://dhost.hopto.org/aapproj/][Image: file.php?id=194][/url]
Your *official* home of the FreeBasic GFX Demo Central, now holding over 150 FB graphics demos so far!!! Big Grin !
Hey, it is not only me who tries to kill that poor screen? Smile

I usually work for refresh rate, but during that i reached these modes too more than a half year ago. There is some topic buryed somewhere: "80 Hz refresh rate under DOS & QB" (as i can remember) created by me, look at it for some more extreme things Smile And visit our page where there is a program called SetHi9.bas what sets up standard SCREEN 9 with 88.5 Hz of refresh rate (Or to get a C program what can set most of the 256 color unchained modes with almost any refresh rate).

The only thing that i did not knew that QB can work with the modes which has not got the usual widths or heights (Did it work)?

I think an 512*400 mode would be the best since it is fast, can be tweaked easily (and should not turn any monitor into garbage) and has almost square pixels (512*384).
fter 60 million years a civilization will search for a meteorite destroying most of the living creatures around this age...

There must be a better future for the Cheetahs!

http://rcs.fateback.com/