Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does one store .gifs and other images without a libary
How would someone store .gifs and other images without the use of a libary. I can ofcoarse build the features used in a libary into my program if someone can provide some information on how that would be done.

Libaries are absolutly a NO NO. So what are the steps to be taken in order to do this. Please don't direct me to some of the sites with 5 pages of information on .bmp, .gif and so forth. I could never find enough patience to sit and read all of it through. It's way to black and white. So please tell me in basic terms what are the steps needed to be taken and provide bits of code where appropriet.

Thank You
·····································LINEAR INC·····································
Ø-----------------------------------------------------------------------O
From Problem to Solution - We take the shortest distance
Well, as long as you'll be using someone else's code you'll be using a library. A library is just a bunch of functions with related functionality.

Go check here, at abc. They have several GIF loaders. One of those would fit your needs. http://www.basicguru.com/abc/graphics.htm

My favourite one is rich gieldreich's, as it is in assembly so it is blazing fast.
SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Libraries, which I take to mean, in this context at least, as code written by somebody else, are a NO-NO and you don't want to learn to do it with your own code (which would essentially constitute a library, but written by you)? Smile I'm trying to figure out what you think is in between. Smile
ravelling Curmudgeon
(geocities sites require copying and pasting URLs.)
I liked spam better when it was something that came in a can.
Windows should be defenestrated.
*sigh* take this example in writing.

no, plageurizing is a no-no. but in every topic area, someone else has already written at least something relevant to what you are writing, and to leave out all information pertant to what they wrote would make your paper suck. so instead, you're encouraged by everyone with a brain to use other people's information, but cite it so others know where it came from. same goes for programming. use other people's libraries. let their hard work which was designed for the sole purpose for you to use in your game not go to waste, and use libraries. just be sure to list in a text file that you used it, or properly follow the license guidelines (if there is one).
i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
The problem arises when i physically can't use Libaries not just that I don't want to.
·····································LINEAR INC·····································
can't use libraries?
do you have qb 1.1?
if so get 4.5
/post]
He's running it on school computers and can't set up every terminal in the lab to work with some lib.

Not every library is an ASM quicklibrary, tho... Just borrowing someone else's GIF-loading SUB would be a lib, too, and that wouldn't require any special setup.
yea wizardlie understands the position I'm in and what I want to do. The thing is, is that I never really created a libary and not to sound to novince here.... how do you extract a sub from a libary and implent it into your program. And which one can I use.

*** I will mantion all the libaries I'll be using and wait should I contact someone if I can do that? I won't be selling this game it's simply a game. I don't even think I'll ever use it in a resume. Just something for school. :???:
You're not extracting anything from a lib. You just need someone's SUB that you can cut and paste into your code. A quick google yielded this page, on which there are two code snippets that purport to load GIFs:

http://www.qbasic.com/list.shtml

Just credit the author at the top of your program in the credits for the game.

Once again, I think your concentrating on the details, when you need to do a lot of basic work before how you load a gif will be very relevant.
naw I'm just gathering information. These four boards cover the major topics I want to learn about before I begin. Once I get a better understanding hey I'll take it step by step. I plan to save all these threads and keep them as notes while I work on the game. Oh and I jut played your game. WOW. Amazing. It's a genious game. I wish I had a friend to play with tho. I just sort of faced them each other and made em launch rockets. It became a quick end. I love how you had different charecters have different speeds, different strengh and so forth. It's one of the things I really want to do.

I forgot to thank you on the the explanation about the libary. and the link. Umm Thanks.