Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Side-Scroller Creation System (SSCS)
Below, you can see a screenshot of the SSCS level editor. It's really simple to use. The user only needs to move the resizable icon(white box) with the arrow keys and press the appropriate button to lay down the tile he/she needs. The levels are 75 tiles in height and up to about 10240 tiles in width. The editor is more or less complete. I just need to add some trivial things here and there.

[Image: sseditor7zw.jpg]
nd remember kids, only you can provoke forest fires!
Very very interesting. Big Grin Is there a matching game engine to go with it, or just the editor? Smile
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
There isn't a game engine yet, but I should make a lot of progress on it this weekend.
Great. Smile See, this is the kind of stuff FB needs...stuff that works and is useful! Big Grin
I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
A suggesstion: Make it mousedriven
Cool!!!

Might use it myself. ;*)
y smiley is 24 bit.
[Image: anya2.jpg]

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
I need some help with collision detection, or some advice.

I plan on having the player be a single color, kinda like a stickman. The enemies are going to check to see if they come in contact with that color, and if they do, the player will lose health or something. Has this method been used before? Does anyone know if it will work well or not?
For collision detection, try using a UDT for each tile on the screen, since your game seems to be made of tiles:

Code:
TYPE blocktype
    x AS INTEGER
    y AS INTEGER
    kind AS INTEGER
END TYPE
DIM block AS blocktype

Then you can do something like:

Code:
IF block(someX, someY).kind = 1 THEN   'say 1 is a wall

Hope that helps a bit, I'm not very good at explaining.
Yes, but the player is not a tile. The player won't have any definite shape, but that type of detection won't work. That's why I thought up the color idea.
The color thingie seems to be a very limiting choice.

Why don't you use a bounding box around the player? That's kinda like pretending the player is a big, moveable tile.